Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhamoud

Help Pls! Tomato branches falling off

jhamoud
9 years ago

Hi all - A few weeks ago I started to notice a marginal yellowing and necrosis on the lower leaves of my cherry tomatoes. It had been restricted to the lower leaves and although progressing I didnt think much of it. I did a round of Neem oil spray last week and that was it.

Earlier this evening i noticed that the leaves on the lower branches had gone from necrosis to wilting / dead. When i tried to remove the leaves the entire branch came off :( I had about 6 branches come off that way. One had even fallen by itself. I cut the branch open but seemed perfectly normal inside.

Any idea what this could be? Any and all help appreciated.

Comments (17)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Where are you growing them? Indoors or out?

What is the lowest temperature just before you saw the problem, and since then?

• wes074
    9 years ago

I have had that happen as well. The entire plant just up and dies, just like the picture. The plants next to them perfectly healthy, and even put a new tomato plant in it's place (container plant), and it grew up normal and healthy.

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

That's weird. You could check the stem around the soil-line. I've had stems with rot around them there, but the plants can be saved by cutting them off and re-rooting them.

Linda

• jhamoud
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hrmmmm.... what do you think of this guy. Could he be the culprit? I found 2 of them last week but cant seem to see any more of them. If it's a cutworm, could it be the reason the branches are breaking off?

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Don't cutworms usually operate at soil level? I've had them fell my tomato plants at the base, but they are usually young and tender because they do it right after I have planted them in the ground in the spring.

Linda

• jhamoud
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hrmm,,, the only other thing i could possibly think of that would cause leaf edges to become nectrotic and branches to drop (literally disconnecting from the main stem) would be a bacterial canker. Does that make any sense?

I did cut up the falling stems - they seem normal (at least color wise)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Where are the experts ?

@jhamoud
    The worm has nothing to do with your problem.
    I had similar problem with a couple of my varieties this past season too. But the plants survived til the end of season but kept losing the lower leaf branches. So I am also very curious to know the cause of it

Seysonn

• jhamoud
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hoping more useful posts lead to solutions. Wondering if its a watering problem. Could a lack of water cause branches to drop off? Couple of things:

1 - I had recently (a week ago) transplanted Marigolds into the pot. They dont seem to be too happy either.
    2 - the leaves that are necrotic are actually drying up along the edges. Could it be lack of water?
    3 - leaves on the branch are dying - but when the branch drops off its entirely green
    4 - i cant see any lesions that would indicate a fungus or a canker

• jhamoud
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just speaking of watering... here's a screenshot from my Parrot FlowerPower showing the moisture level over the past month.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Now that you have not been able to diagnose the problem, I would suggest to go ahead and spray the plant with fungicide. I use Daconil or Neem Oil spray. It is recommended to do this routinely anyway. Repeat in another 10 to 15 days.

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Those Marigolds look sad - and thirsty! I see that you are battling fungus gnats, so maybe you are trying to allow the soil to dry out in order to get rid of them? There are some products like Gnatol that apparently work. I HATE fungus gnats!

Linda

• TheTexasWingnut
    9 years ago

"Hoping more useful posts lead to solutions." More useful from us or you? More useful posts will come from us if they first come from you. If you answer the questions asked of you so we can have more information, we might be able to help you more.

• jhamoud
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey all - thanks for the replies.

@thetexaswingnut - those useful posts were from me to you... the additional pictures of the plant and watering schedule - hoping they would help everyone potentially come up with the diagnosis. Any thoughts from you side?

@seysonn - thanks for that. I did a neem spray over the weekend - hoping for the best. will probably give it another round this weekend. I'm using 10ml of Neem oil in 1000 ML of water. Sound right?

@labradors - the marigolds died despite the watering. VERY odd. Was actually wondering if whatever got to the Marigolds is what got to the cucumbers of they just didnt like being transplanted there (they're a week old into the pot with the tomato). Fungus gnatts... ekh.. ya.. those sticky strips have helped. Just got some BT and hoping that helps as well. Could the larvae chewing on the roots have had a negative effect on the tomatos?

Totally lost... and hoping for the best. Any ideas one what can turn these leaves necrotic and cause the branches to just drop would be greatly appreciated.

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

I'm no expert, but if the marigolds croaked as well (despite being watered), perhaps you have some questionable potting mix?

I wish I knew more about F. gnat damage. Of course they do chew the roots, and can be a danger to small seedlings, but your plants look big enough that they should be able to resist.

Hoping that someone can give you some answers.

Linda

• jhamoud
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi All - any chance this could be bacterial canker? I cant see any cankers on the stems. I've split open the branches that have fallen off but cant see any discoloration inside...

• seysonn
    9 years ago

@seysonn - thanks for that. I did a neem spray over the weekend - hoping for the best. will probably give it another round this weekend. I'm using 10ml of Neem oil in 1000 ML of water. Sound right?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Are you using pure Neem Oil ?. Does it come with instruction ?
    I have a concentrate, that has about 75% Neem + 25% other stuff. I mix about one Table Spoon in a Gallon : That is roughly 7 ml in 1000 ml.
    Can you tell us where you are ? In USA? In Australia ? What are your temperatures? How many hours of sun your plant gets ? What is the variety ? AND can you post a picture of the whole plant ?What kind of soil you are using ? Does the container have good drain holes ?

Seysonn

• Jennie Sims
    9 years ago

jhamoud, this summer I had one plant who's leaves looked identical to yours in the first picture. However, the branches didn't fall off when green, but rather just turned dark and dried up like the leaves. I posted pictures and requested help diagnosing it. I was told it was Grey Mold. It did not have the fuzzy mold spores like in the pictures, so I wasn't sure that was the right diagnosis. But whatever it was, it spread to the plant next to it and both lost tons of leaves and branches despite spraying with a fungicide and religiously picking off the affected branches and leaves. It hit mid summer, so I still got a really good harvest before I pulled them in the fall. Wish I could help you further. Jennie

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA