Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potato-Leaved Cherry & Paste Types?

Posted by woodcutter2008 5+ (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 24, 09 at 17:09

I posted this in the heirlooms forum, but looks like the activity level is pretty low there...

2010 is going to be "the year of potato-leaved tomatoes" for my garden and Earth Boxes. Right now I'm planning on Stupice, Magnus, Brandywine OTV, and Brandy Boy. (Plus some regular-leaved varieties.)

I've looked for (but not found) any varieties of paste/plum and only one cherry tomato (Galinas) that have potato-type leaves. Anyone know of any?

Has anyone grown "Tumbler F1" (not "Tumbling Tom") and noted if Tumbler had potato leaves? As I grew it last summer, it appeared to be, but I've never seen it mentioned in any catalog that way,

-WC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potato-Leaved Cherry & Paste Types?

Here's a good PL cherry .......

Here is a link that might be useful: Brandysweet Plum

o

Yellow Submarine is a yellow pear-shaped PL cherry.

I agree with D. wrt Brandysweet Plum - it is a very good one.

Tumbler F1 is regular leaf.

Yellow Pygmy is a dwarf PL yellow cherry.

Tania

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Pygmy

o

There should be a rainbow of interesting cherry to golf ball size, potato leaf varieties in the next few years due to ongoing breeding projects by a few enthusiasts using yellow, gold, bicolor, purple, pink and green when ripe types were one or both parents are potato leaf. Stay tuned.

o

This summer I grew out some seeds saved from last year's plants that were grown from seeds saved from some purple haze plants. One of this year's PL plants was awfully close to black cherry in appearance, taste, production, and flavour profile. Saved seeds, will see what comes up next year.

o

Got lucky with a pack of Tonodose des Conores red cherry from Baker Creek which yielded a red, regular leaf cherry and a yellow, potato leaf cherry. Dont know the variety. Very good vigor and flavor.

o

Galina's Yellow is another excellent PL with gold cherries, which I like very much.

I don't know your reason for wanting PL paste types, but if for the thicker leaf epidermis you might want to consider Martino's Roma which has rugose foliage which also has a thicker leaf epidermis.

Carolyn

o

I'm going to try Galinas this year. Found your book very interesting reading, and I'm going to try several of your recommended varieties next year. I still may try Martino's Roma, although my own experience with Rugose foliage plants is no better than regular leaves as regards Septoria. Potato leaf types might be a little better based on my very limited experience. One that I had very good (Septoria) luck with was Southern Night (PL). Brandy Boy might be a little better than regular leaf types -- I've grown it several times, and it is good, even if prone to producing some odd-shapes.
-WC

> Galina's Yellow is another excellent PL with gold cherries, which I like very much.

I don't know your reason for wanting PL paste types, but if for the thicker leaf epidermis you might want to consider Martino's Roma which has rugose foliage which also has a thicker leaf epidermis. <

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here