Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorraine_miller7704

Tomatoes how to make them grow larger

Lorraine Miller
9 years ago

Planted tomatoes in a larger container. I want them to grow large. Is there anything I can use

Comments (9)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Do you mean how to grow the "plant" larger or larger "Fruits"?

In both cases generally it will depend on the variety. Most indeterminant varieties will tend to get very large. Determinants and dwarfs, OTOH, will stay smaller.

It is the same on the fruits size. Some varieties by the genetics will grow small fruits. Cherry varieties are good example, So you can have a huge plant with small fruits or a small determinant plant with 'Beef Steak" size fruits.

There are also ways to grow bigger tomatoes, on a given variety of a plant. For example by thinning the fruits and limiting the number per cluster or per plant.

Stay tuned for more responses and ideas.

Seysonn

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Container that size is good for 1 tomato plant. Looks like you have several in there.

Need to know the variety you planted. Growing them indoors? Very problematic.

Dave

• Lorraine Miller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks... Sorry just picked up some plants from walmart. Didn't really focus on what kind. I think the plant is a beef tomato?.... I will prune and see what happens, as I look at it now I see new buds and I know know where to prune. Look closely you can see the two tomatoes I want the tomatoes to grow larger. Any suggestions?

• seysonn
    9 years ago

That one in the center looks very nice and healthy. Does it have a tag ? At any event, think about a support system : cage or steaks. The plant's name/tag can be useful to figure out what kind of support is more appropriate.

On Fruit Size: Once given a variety, the average fruit size is pretty much pre determined with some variation ; For example 8 to 12 oz;;; 14 oz to 20 oz.. etc. But you can thin and reduce the number of fruits on a truss, so the remaining ones can get bigger. That is what they do when growing for championship contests.

Seysonn

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Yeah as long as the plant is fed regularly with a balanced fertilizer, watered as needed, and properly supported then the size of the fruit is determined by the variety genetics.

"Beef" doesn't tell us anything about the variety or how big the plant or the fruit will be. Knowing the variety you are growing is vital to having success. Without that info it is all just guess work. So you will just have to wait and see what happens.

Dave

• chewy2u
    9 years ago

Why are you growing your plants upside down?

Is that because you live in an upside down house?

• chewy2u
    9 years ago

I want the tomatoes to grow larger. Any suggestions?

Thanks... Sorry just picked up some plants from walmart. Didn't really focus on what kind.

Next time pay attention to what you buy!

contact lubadub on garden web. He will give you some seeds that will grow large tomatoes. Also buy his book giant tomatoes. at Amazon books.

Giant Tomatoes Aug 1, 2007
    by Marvin H. Meisner and M.D
    Paperback
    $14.81$19.95
    Only 17 left in stock - order soon.
    More Buying Choices
    $4.78used & new(26 offers)
    Kindle Edition
    $0.00
    Subscribers read for free.Learn more.
    $2.99to buy
    Auto-delivered wirelessly

• Lorraine Miller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks.... will be sure to pay attention next time. first time trying in a container. Didn't think they would grow, was experimenting. House not upside down, neither is my plant. There is only one plant in the container.

• ddsack
    9 years ago

If you click on any upside down picture, it opens up in another separate window where it is right side up.

Remember we all use different brands of computers or hand-held devides with various operating systems to access the internet, and with constantly changing technology they can 't all intermesh as perfectly as we would like.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES