Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is the container suitable?

Posted by brkieffner 5B (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 6, 11 at 18:31

Hello all!

I'm intending to grow one of two cherry tomato varieties in a container under an LED grow light during the winter.

I have a container I know for sure will be suitable but I was surprised today with a new plant from a friend that may need the particular pot I intended to use for the cherry tomato. Before I go out and buy a new pot however, I'm curious if the current one I have is suitable enough. Pics included. It says it's a 1.4 qt. pot.

Thanks for all opinions.

Also, the varieties are Koralik and Golden Nugget. If you feel one would work better than the other, please say so. Thanks.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By brkieffner at 2011-11-06

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By brkieffner at 2011-11-06

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is the container suitable?

5 gallons is the minimal size container recommended for growing tomatoes.

Koralik is listed as both a determinate and an indeterminate but neither would survive in that small a pot. Never grown it so can't say how big it will get but it would quickly get rootbound.

Golden Nugget is a more compact plant but still easily reach 2 1/2 feet tall.

Dave

o
RE: Is the container suitable?

More important than the pot, perhaps, is how large the vine will grow and whether you have room for it indoors -- and how you'll support it if you do have room.

For varieties which do not grow so tall, see the "Container Tomatoes" and "Dwarf Tomatoes" sections in Tatiana's TOMATObase:
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Category:Container_Tomatoes
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Category:Dwarf_Tomatoes

In some cases the articles cite plant height.

Some people do say it's possible to grow some smaller-vined tomatoes in containers under 5 gallons -- but details are difficult to come by.

===

If you're ever contemplating using a container you don't know the size of, you can calculate the volume in inches, then divide the total by 231. That will give you the number of gallons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here