Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Juliette

Posted by subtrop 10b (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 19:16

Since I lost all my plants to the yellow leaf curl virus, here's the second batch getting ready...First time I'm trying the Juliette, they are very vigorous plants so far.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Juliette

I have grown the Juliet tomato for many years. I always find room for at least one plant each year here in zone 6. It is a very hardy plant which overcomes many problems. It lasts a long time on the vine and stores well.

It is not the tastiest of fruits when eaten fresh. It's wonderful sweetness is revealed when it is grilled, dried or roasted. I have not tried it in a sauce. Best of luck in your experiment with Juliet.
Victor

o

Thanks Victor! I need all the luck with all the pests and nematodes and sandy soil and....so far I have to thin out the leaves every week. Last season I cut all the suckers, but the nematodes make tomato life very short. So I try it this way this time.

o

Dr SubTrop,
Never found the need to prune Juliet. Try one without pruning and compare results. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Victor

o

There get too crowded if I don't. Grows like crazy, so I just have to remove some leaves. I'll try get a pic for you one of these days.

o

here in phe u need to prune them too cause we get a 11 month growing season

o

Here's an update without thinning the leaves...(don't worry about the pumpkin leaves silvery spots- that's a calabaza/tropical pumpkin :-)

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 15:42

I grow Juliette every year.
I use them for every thing, even have used them on hamburgers.
I never plant more then 5 plants & at the peak of harvest, I give bags of them away.

o

So, here are my 2 cents: the Juliet works better than the yellow and red cherry and the roma, all from my local garden center (not the big box stores). The plants stood up best against the rkn army, and made amazingly large fruits for a grape variety. Was not prone to cracking, and it sure rained a lot here lately (what happened this winter?Usually it doesn't rain for weeks?!)And the taste was good enough, they were not soft or mealy, kept good on the counter. I have yet to check on the roots, how bad it is, but the cherries are wasting away now. The Juliet still has a bit going on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here