Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecopal_gw

Will my tomatoes replace the blossoms its dropped?

Ecopal
12 years ago

My better boy tomatoes have no blossoms left because they have all fallen off. The plant is over five feet tall and I know it is still going to get taller and produce new blossoms. But what I want to know is will new blossoms appear were old blossoms have fallen off. Or will I only have blossoms on the top of the tomato plant with the bottom having none. I have never grown indeterminate tomatoes before so I do not know.

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

No, new blooms will only develop on new growth. Some new growth 'might' sprout near the lower, older branches on secondary stems so watch for new sucker sprouts developing in the branch axis.

This is one reason why pruning suckers isn't recommended - if left alone they make fruit.

Dave

• Ecopal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

In that case I think I will clone the plant and start over. I do not have any suckers but can I use the top of the plant by cutting it off? I once cloned a Brandywine by placing a sucker in water for a few weeks until it sprouted roots. But I have also been told that you can simply place it in wet dirt. Will a hybrid clone have the same characteristics of the plant it came from?

• missingtheobvious
    12 years ago

All parts of a tomato plant have the same genetic material -- except the seeds in the growing fruit. Those seeds contain genes from the plant it's growing on as well as genes from the plant the pollen came from (which might be the same plant or a different plant).

So yes, the cloned plant will still be a Better Boy. This is true whether the plant is hybrid or open pollinated.

If you have room, why not let multiple suckers grow on the current plant, then use them to start multiple new plants?

Placing a sucker or branch in wet dirt is supposed to produce a better root system than if the new plant is started in water. Depending on the weather, you might want to give the new plant partial shade for a few days. And water it regularly, of course. Technically, you should remove blossoms until you see new growth (if you don't, the plant will take longer to establish).

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Yes you can use the top but a Better Boy should have lots of suckers on it-unless you have intentionally removed them all?

And rooting cuttings in moist potting soil, not water, is recommended. Water roots are not the same as nutrient roots and it is the latter you want.

Dave

• Ecopal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well yeah I did remove all my suckers because that is what I have been told will produce bigger tomatoes. But that�s good to know about the cutting having the same genetic material as the original. Hey does that mean I can keep cloning the same plant indefinitely? I also have four Brandywine tomato plants that I am hoping will not drop its blossoms. I was able to remove two cuttings because my better boy forked in two. I removed the blossoms on one and let the other keep them. I will see which one does better. By the way the plant that I grew in water and later put in dirt seems to be doing o.k. but will it develop future problems?