Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rnewste

The EarthTainer II WaterMizer Edition - - New, Improved, and FREE

rnewste
15 years ago

As many of you have followed the saga of the EarthTainer construction on TomatoFest, as well as the "Myth-Busters Trials", I have now field-tested an improved version and it is available on the TomatoFest Website here:

http://www.tomatofest.com/pdfs/Earth...tion-Guide.pdf

The primary improvement has been to incorporate a 5" diameter wicking basket instead of the 9" by 9" large square basket.

{{gwi:55134}}

This permits 20% more potting mix in the same 31 gallon container for greater plant / root development and parses the water to the tomato plant so that the mix remains in the "Moist" range, reducing water usage and that lost to evaporation (hence the moniker: "WaterMizer") . . . catchy, don't you think?

{{gwi:1398046}}

Anyway, the Price is right - FREE so enjoy and by the way, I have included simple instructions on how to retrofit your existing EarthTainer I to the improved design.

{{gwi:55135}}

Raybo

Here is a link that might be useful: EarthTainer II WaterMizer Edition Construction Guide

Comments (13)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

There it is...I've been waiting for this post for a while! :) I think the name is very catchy, and quite appropriate. Thanks for sharing, Raybo.

EG

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago
  • carolynp
    15 years ago

You totally rock! We all love your designs at my place and we're incorporating them into our sfgs.

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks carolynp,

Here is a recent photo of a Purple Haze growing in its new EarthTainer II design.

{{gwi:8528}}

Seems to be doing fine, now into November. Planted it out in early August for my second season Fall crop.

Raybo

• azruss
    15 years ago

I cannot wait to try this out in 2009. Thank you!

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Ray - I posted a thread over at the sfg forum that redirects people here, because there's quite a few of us that are gonna try them next year.

BTW - How are your sugar snap peas doing?

EG

• archerb
    15 years ago

Love the guide. I hope to make one before the spring.

The only nit-pick I have is that the guide never explains when to install the PVC pipe used for adding water. While it should be easy to figure out, I'd hate to be the one guy with an EarthTainer filled with dirt and water standing there with a pipe wondering, "What do I do with this part?".

I assume it should go on page 12, right before or after "Step 3: Installation of Landscape Fabric".

Also, if I might suggest adding a bolt and nut to the bottom of the "fill-pipe" might make it so that it can't be pulled out by mistake. I could see myself doing that as well and having to remove all the dirt to get the pipe back in. Although, it may interfere with the Floating Flag Level Indicator if not done just right.

Again, awesome guide!

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

archerb,

Very good point re: insertion of the filler pipe Step. I will add in in the next Rev. of the Guide.

Regarding installing a bolt and nut to the end of the filler tube, this is not practical as the area under the aeration bench has no way to access the end of the filler tube after it is inserted.

But don't worry if you ever yank it out by accident. The moist potting mix sticks to itself rather well (you can rotate the filler pipe a bit to compress the mix adjacent to the pipe, if you ever need to remove it), and I have actually done this several times without a bunch of mix falling into the water reservoir.

Raybo

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i totally love that!! is it alright if i put that on my "blog" so others can use it? if i get anyone to go there? or just so i can remember it?? LOL **big grinn** i mostly have been putting all kinds of stuff that i have in my pc in it and things i find usefull that way i don't have to keep it in my pc. LOL Hee Hee and if anyone in the whole web finds any of it usefull all the more power to them!! LOL

now all i have to do is get like, 7-8 of them 31 gal containers **big grinn**
    Happy thanksgiving ~Medo

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Thank you yet again RayBo! I built one of your containers last year and wouldn't think of growing tomatoes in anything but.

The funny thing is I came to the same conclusion you did when it comes to the basket. I didn't like how big the pond basket was so I got a 6 inch end-cap for a drainage pipe. Works great and the tomatoes got all the water they needed.

Thinking it was an optional piece as far as size, I even found a $1 basket that would work fine. I may go with that to cut the cost even further.

Amazing design and functionality. Bravo!

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I'm growing heirlooms and I'm surprised at how much healthier the ones in the SWC's are. They're just lovely.

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

EG,

The Oregon Snow Peas are doing great. While the seed pack says they grow to 24" to 30" and need no staking, mine in the EarthTainer II are now mote than 60" tall, and growing:

{{gwi:1398047}}

{{gwi:51802}}

Raybo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Raybo - Cool! Those peas are doing great! I'm gonna build 2 more 'tainers before spring, bringing my total to 6. Twelve tomato plants is about all I can possibly handle, especially since I'm growing several other veggies as well, in the sfg.

BTW, did you see my 'tainer scrap uses post last week? If you missed it, here's the link for it...

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: EG's blog about scrap pieces

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator