Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fusion_power

Craig Lehoullier's book, "Epic Tomatoes" available at Amazon

fusion_power
9 years ago

I received a copy today and am busy reading through the thoughts and observations and looking at the beautifully done photos. If you would like a very nice tomato fix for winter entertainment, get a copy and have fun.

Comments (20)

• suncitylinda
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

On my wish list....

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Places other than Amazon where you can find it for sale, if not now, shortly, include:

Tomato Growers Supply ( TGS)

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange *SESE

I think possibly Victory Seeds, but didn't check

And the SSE( Seed Savers) Public catalog which is also online,

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

• smithmal
    9 years ago

I got mine ordered from TGS. Should be coming any day now....

Looking forward to adding this to my tomato book library.

Here is a link that might be useful: Epic Tomatoes Book (TGS)

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

If you want it quickly the above sound like reasonable outlets. TGS and some of those other suppliers are like $20 plus shipping, more expensive. My opinion is to save some money on Amazon or just get one used later unless you are a book collector.

Like all garden books, It will show up on eBay almost new, at half price or less, sooner or later. Often you can get gardening books on eBay in like new condition.

I still need to get a look at Amy Goldman's:

The Heirloom Tomato: From Garden to Table: Recipes, Portraits, and History of the World's Most Beautiful Fruit (Hardcover)

which is a $37.50 beautiful hardcover coffee table book from what I can tell and as is typical can be had even on Amazon for $15 in like new condition at the moment.

The last heirloom book I got ...like new ... I'm going to list for some other happy person on eBay (It's basically a book exchange for those of us who don't accumulate) and I'll come out at least even with no complaints which I would recommend to anyone who doesn't like accumulating. No library here. This forum is superb and internet resources doubling every year for tomato information.

No one mentioned, but Lehoullier's is $10 on Amazon on Kindle. Amazon has Lehoullier discounted for under $15, for the paperback, and if you wait till you you have a $35 order, shipping is free. If it doesn't meet your expectation, you can return it in 30 days very economically and with preprinted return labels & no questions or hassle. Hard to beat and what I consider important as a purchaser.

I hope all these authors do well promoting their books, as each one likely has been frustrated with at least one thing dealing with a publisher :-(

PC

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Ken B who is with SESE has also posted if you get it from them if you order just one pack of seeds with it it goes by regular mail, not media mail which takes longer.

Carolyn

• suncitylinda
    9 years ago

I ordered it from Target for $13 and change and got free shipping. It ships the end of the month. I can hardly wait!

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

Great find Linda!

Target is estimating for shipment around 12/30. It is $13.86 at Target, $0.77 less than Amazon though Amazon may ship a couple of days sooner; Target collects sales tax in most/all states, so mine was nearly $15 but I ordered. I like the part of paying with PayPal since I don't trust Target with card info, and getting a cash refund if returned by Jan. 24, no questions asked, by dropping it off at their local store.

I read the first page on Amazon and don't like it, but hopefully the main part of the book isn't as poorly written and researched, JMO and it is too soon to tell. The book seems pretty thick so that sounds promising.

Linda's tip at Target: shipping is free, no minimum purchase required, if the book is ordered before Xmas. (Thanks)

Target link for Dr. Lehoullier's Tomato Book

PC

This post was edited by PupillaCharites on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 12:02

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    9 years ago

When you order from eBay how do you pay?

Do they take credit cards? My credit cards have protection. I don't understand how other payment methods work.

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

Albert,
    Credit cards have varying degrees of protection, many covering you completely in case of fraud, others $50 maximum responsibility, etc. Target is a stupid retailer responsible for the largest credit card hack in human history, a year ago, when 40 million credit card numbers and nearly double that amount of personal customer data were negligently hacked and transferred to Russia as the company stood by and did nothing even as they were informed it was happening.

PayPal is the common form of payment on eBay.. PayPal is owned by eBay now so it is a monopoly from auction to payent and the good part is seamless and fraud protected. With PayPal, you sign up with a bank account and credit card. When you pay for something you purchase online, whether via eBay or someone else who accepts PayPal, the payee only gets your email address, and if required, your phone number PayPal has on file (in which case you are notified the retailer requires the phone number). If it is being shipped to you they also get your shipping address.

With PayPal you can pay with your bank account or credit card account and they also have fraud protection. The benefit is the payee never gets your credit card nor bank account number, only email, maybe phone and shipping address when necessary.

When Target was hacked, all 40 million credit card holders were issued replacement credit cards and their old numbers deactivated. Sometimes people you pay will require you to update the credit card information or the payment may not go through with the old hacked number they have on file. This can be a pain in the rear to update depending on how beaurocratic the place is that you pay, and it is also unnerving especially if the hacker uses the information as part of an identity theft scam which can get miserable.

Home Depot, about three months ago also had an "EPIC" hack and millions again had credit cards deactivated and replaced. Another thing that is annoying is that your bank will never tell you who caused the credit card hack reissue since they are in cahoots to protect the retailers, so you are left being hacked with no clue on who stole your information and has it in their possession.

So PayPal on eBay or also accepted by Target who for online payments, never gives them your account number in the first place so there is less exposure to stupid retailers that get hacked. On eBay, you can still even mail a check directly to many sellers if you choose. A check has your bank account number and is slower and costs a stamp if mailing a paper check, but avoids eBay double-dipping into the profits of sale and payment with their monopoly. With PayPal you can select your credit card as the payment source and it is your choice if fraud happens whether you do your claim through PayPal or directly with the credit card company. PayPal thus conveniently allows individuals selling on eBay to accept credit card payments without having a merchant account with the credit card account or any equipment to process credit cards beyond an email account.

Hope that helps
    PC

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

>With PayPal, you sign up with a bank account and credit card.

Just wanted to point out that you can pay by credit card with paypal without signing up.

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

I just went to Target and you have to spend $50 to get free shipping and of course there are taxes...

Amazon hiked up the price to $15.21, but you get free shipping if you spend $35.

Guess I'll stick with Amazon.

Linda

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

The link to Target when posted indicated in the wording free shipping if ordered before Christmas on that page but it was apparently part of the larger online promotion to compete with Amazon for Xmas dollars cut off on 12/20, and the page now says $50 minimum order for getting free shipping, grrrr. I guess the early birds gets the hornworm ;-(. Merry Christmas Linda & December Greetings to All.

PC

• whgille
    9 years ago

Thank you fusion for letting us know about the book. Mine came today from Amazon, it looks like I am going to love the book, beautiful pictures and I will be reading soon...

{{gwi:2132351}}

Silvia

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

I'm SO jealous Silvia!

The early bird gets the hornworm is too funny David!

Merry Christmas and a Happy Tomato-growing New Year to you too!

Linda

• hellomygarden
    9 years ago

Can anyone tell me if his methods in the book are natural/synthetic pesticide free?

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

Barnes & Noble is in the sales fray with just over $15. Free shipping if you buy $25 minimum, which is the lowest I've seen these days.

Don't have my book yet to comment on the organic question, but I don't think the book focuses on organic aspects since the author apparently grows many of his tomatoes in pots. But there is a fine line and it is more political. The book should be a good resource no matter how your grow, but you may want to get an organic or permaculture resource or just organic tomato growing Google around. The organic forum on GW has many helpful folks.

PC

• hellomygarden
    9 years ago

Thank you for the reply, PC. The author grows in my general location, so I would be especially eager to hear his methods if he grows pesticide free.... but you are right, it could be helpful either way.

• suncitylinda
    9 years ago

I post on another forum where the author is quite active. He is certainly health conscious but I do not think he's an organic grower. As has been mentioned he grows a large number of tomato plants in 5 gallon buckets.

• hellomygarden
    9 years ago

Thank you Suncitylinda for your reply also. I don't worry about the growing in buckets, we will probably do that as well, just mostly concerned about the pesticides/fungicides, etc.

• smithmal
    9 years ago

I've gotten through about 75% though "Epic Tomatoes" and find it very useful for the novice tomato grower. All aspects of tomato growing is covered in good detail and written in laymen's terms that any aspiring gardener would understand.

The layout of the books contents is done extremely well. CL provides charming stories with all of the tomato varieties he highlights and I found his guidance on creating your own varieties of particular interest.

The photos really brighten up the layout of the book (just in case you weren't totally jazzed about tomatoes in the first place) making your eyes open with wonder with every eye popping tomato variety or growing guidance photo CL provides.

I wish I read this book 5 years ago. Many of the mistakes I've made, could have been easily side stepped if I had this book to guide me.

Well done CL! I'm sure this book will make anyone not already addicted to tomato growing at the very least charmed by your experiences and instruction.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!