Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel7

Ed's Millennium seed source?

jel7
15 years ago

Please give me a source for Ed's Millenium.

John

Comments (21)

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

John, I don't think it's available commercially at this time.

Have you also posted your want in the Tomato Seed Exchange here, link just above the first thread and to the right. That's as good a place as any to find things, especially those varieties that aren't commercially available. I did Google it and also checked a few places that aren't scanned by Google and found nothing.

I know one person who has grown it and who posts here from time to time, but that's about it.

Maybe someone will come along and have seeds, but I sure would post in the Tomato Exchange as well ( I didn't take the time to go look and see if you had)

Carolyn

• jel7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carolyn,

When I started this thread, I said to myself, I bet Carolyn knows the answer.

Thanks for your research.

I will post on the Tomato Seed Exchange as you suggested.

I understand Ed's Millennim is somewhat like Brandywine.

Do you know this history?

John

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

I understand Ed's Millennim is somewhat like Brandywine.

Do you know this history?

It's not somewhat like brandywine, it IS a selection of Brandywine, strain not specified.

The selection was made by Ed Lo of Cupertino CA about 8-10 years ago. When the Santa Clara Master gardeners did a taste testing they rated it highly. And I say no wonder since it is essentially Brandywine. ( smile)

That was picked up by some TV and journalists in CA and it's been kind of a CA thing up until now as I see it.

The one person I know who has said the most about it compared it to Earl's Faux, which some feel is also Brandywine, and found the two quite comparable.

He said he distributed some seeds to members at that message site but I didn't take the time to do an exhaustive search to see what any of them might have said, if they did grow it.

Does that help?

Carolyn

• jel7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Does that help?
    Carolyn,

YES! Thanks-a-million.

That's just what I wanted to know.

John

• rnewste
    15 years ago

John,

I have been growing Ed's Millennium for the past several years (6). I seems to do well in a dry, warm climate like San Jose, CA. It is in my "Top 10" list, and I find it similar in many ways to Earl's Faux, but more productive and disease tolerant. Will be happy to send you some seeds to try.

Raybo

• jel7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Raybo,

Thanks for the information and your kind offer.

Please send me an e-mail including your address and I will send you a sase.

Thanks again,

John

• mickyfinn6777
    15 years ago

two or three years ago I got some Ed's Millenium from Ray in a seed exchange.

Since that time I have grown it and liked it very much it is a real fine tomato-well worth growing and a good producer,
    This year I distributed seeds of it to at least thirty different people all over the globe, USA , Australia, and parts of Europe, so I would expect it to become very popular and widely available all over the USA by the end of 2009 as dozens of people will have it,
    It is very similar to the Variety (Goose Creek) both in size and shape ,and it is a bit of a toss up as to which of the two varieties has the better flavour, I know that Ray is also quite keen on Goose Creek, and on some years it can be a better flavour than E. M. and on other years Visa -Versa. both are darned good tomatoes-what say you Ray ??.

• jel7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Raybo?

Did you get the e-mail with my address?

I look forward to growing Ed's Millennium in 2009.

John

• rnewste
    15 years ago

Hey Mickyfinn, glad to hear you had success with the Ed's Millennium last season. Spread the seeds to friends as you are doing - - I am sure they will be pleased with the results.

John, yes I have your address and the Ed's will be going out to you tomorrow. BTW, here is a comparison photo of Ed's in the center, with others around it. My favorite this year was Goose Creek (not in the photo), closely followed by Earl's Faux and Ed's Millennium. I am in "Tomato Heaven" with any one of these if I were to be marooned on a deserted island.

{{gwi:1399030}}

Raybo

• dstucki85
    15 years ago

Raybo,

Would you be interested in trading for Ed's M, or sending me a few if I send a SASE to you? Would love to try it for 2009. My email is donstucki@yahoo.com.

Thanks!!

• rnewste
    15 years ago

gardenboy,

Yep, I'll send some Ed's Millennium to you too. Will exchange emails with you for your address shortly. No need for a SASE.

Raybo

• luv_daises
    15 years ago

Hey Ray,
    I hate to ask and put in my 2cents, but if you have any u would want to share. As a newbie, I'm trying to get a good selection to grow this spring.I know Mickey mentioned Goose Creek, am trying to get that one to, but I can't afford paying $6.95 for a plant plus shipping.
    Thanks

• rnewste
    15 years ago

luv,

Sure, send me an email with your shipping address and I will send you 10 seeds of Ed's Millennium and also Goose Creek. I'm sure you will like both varieties.

Raybo

• luv_daises
    15 years ago

Raybo,
    Thanks, I tried to send an email. But just incase it didn't go through, let me know and I'll give u my email.
    Do you want me to do an sase, I would be very glad to.

• rnewste
    15 years ago

Folks,

All of your seed requests went out in today's mail. You should have them before the end of the week.

Raybo

• cbart
    15 years ago

Raybo,
    If you have any additional seeds you would like to share it would be greatly appreciated. I could send a SASE if you prefer.
    Thanks,
    cbart

• rnewste
    15 years ago

cbart,

I think I can help you out. Just send me an email with your address and I will get them off to you.

Raybo

• cbart
    15 years ago

raybo,
    Thanks very much. I'm having a problem sending you an email.
    cbart

• rnewste
    15 years ago

cbart,

Go to this site and use the "Contact Us" tab (don't fill in your phone number and all that stuff - -just your name and mailing address). I will get the Ed's Millennium off to you this weekend.

http://www.earthtainer.org/

Raybo

Here is a link that might be useful: EarthTainer.org site

• cbart
    15 years ago

Raybo
    Contact Us is still not working so I can't send you an email. Could you send an email to me at wines.275@gmail.com?
    Thanks,
    cbart

• rnewste
    15 years ago

cbart,

You need to click on the Earthtainer.org link above, then click on the "Contact Us" tab on this site. It works. The Garden Web contact us is not working apparently.

Raybo

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County