Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
durable_now

Cherry tomato hanging basket

durable_now
11 years ago

I'm going to make a hanging basket from a 5ga bucket.Can I plant 2 Wild Florida Everglade plants in it or is there only room for 1? Also how much eatlier do I need to start germination ahead of regular seeds?
Thanks

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

1 plant. They average 4-5 feet tall and 3-4 feet wide. But I don't know of any reason why it would need to be started any earlier than normal. Not sure why you think it would need to be. Can you explain more?

Dave

• durable_now
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Someone on one of the forums said they needed more germination time & also more growing to maturity time.

• mrdoitall
    11 years ago

If you use 5 gal buckets don't use the wire handle to hang them. It will pull out from the bucket. From all the weight of the plant,soil and water when they get big. You will need thick rope or cable wire that goes under and around the bucket to support it from the bottom. Or they will fall and almost kill you. Ask me how I know. Also don't grow them upside down they don't grow as good. You can just plant them from the top and let them grow and droop down the sides of the bucket. Good luck and be safe.

• containerted
    11 years ago

Someone on one of the forums said they needed more germination time & also more growing to maturity time.

===========================================================================================

Actually that's not the case. The bucket is up in the air and can quickly get to the air (ambient) temperature. This is always warmer than the ground and means the roots are in summer mode quickly.

Being in a bucket has nothing to do with germination. It does, however, affect fruit ripening - again due to the higher "soil" temperature.

I would recommend filling the bucket to about 3/4 full. This leaves room for watering from the top. I would also recommend cutting a couple holes in the sides and putting the plants there (works just like one of those terracotta strawberry pots).

Be prepared to not miss a day of watering, especially after the plant gets a full load of foliage on. Also be ready to feed it about every two to three weeds with no better than "Half Strength" fertilizer - such as Miracle Grow for Tomatoes.

It's a novelty or conversation piece, but you can get a lot of cherry or salad-sized fruits. It's just a lot of work.

Ted

• durable_now
    Original Author
    11 years ago

UPDATE:
    DIGDIRT-since my posting I have received seeds from 3 different sources and they all cautioned about being patient germinating as it can take from 2/4 weeks to sprout MRDOITALL-I'm making a platform from 3/4 in plywood that is a little larger than the bucket and drill holes at each of the 4 corners and secure a rope thru each.The rope will be tied to a ring a short distance above the top of the bucket (like a pyramid)then attach a pulley to the ring.I will leave the platform on the ground so I can guide the vine over the sides.As the vine spills over the sides of the bucket I will keep raising the platform to keep the vine off the ground.Think this will work?
    CONTAINERTED-I have draineg holes drilled in the bottom of the bucket & I fill the container with compost to about 6 in
    or so of the top as the plant grows I keep pinching off bottom leafs & adding soil I leave a space at the top for watering (This a trick I learned from you a few years back.)
    Good idea or not?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Someone on one of the forums said they needed more germination time & also more growing to maturity time. DIGDIRT-since my posting I have received seeds from 3 different sources and they all cautioned about being patient germinating as it can take from 2/4 weeks to sprout

Interesting. Of course it can all depend on the germination methods used but I never found that to be the case as they easily re-seed themselves from dropped fruit and grow rapidly.

Either way - enjoy.

Dave

• containerted
    11 years ago

Good idea or not?

==========================================================

You're doing fine. Thanks for the kind words.

Ted

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County