Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Gardens in Bed

seysonn
10 years ago

Now that most of us have put the garden to bed, lets talk about dreams(LOL).
What are you dreaming about to plant next seasons?
Are you going to grow your own tomato seedlings?
Have you bought/saved your seeds ?

I have read quite a bit of 2013 Garden Failure stories here and few success stories. What did we learn from all that?

==For myself: I had too many Cherries and not enough Early/Mid seasons.

== Despite pruning, some of them INDETS just got out of control.
== Couple of them , with over 7ft height were just waste of space and total disappointment (Brandywine, Black Krim).

So, I think I have learned my lesson well (hopefully):
Jut 2 cherries(One red=Chad Wick, one yellow=Sungold),
About 5 INDETS (Ml, CP, BB ..??), and 5 or 6 DETs and Dwarfs. Space is limited. Cannot afford to plant more then 15.

Choosing INDETs is no problem. Threr are so many that I know myself. All I want to know and choose is about DETs that will be productive, early to mid season. I have few names that have originated from North, Northwest and Canada That I think should do better here at PNW. Here are some names:

CANADIAN DWARF (det)>>> CZECK BUSH(det) >>>EARLI BELL (det)>>> MOUNTAIN PRINCESS (det)>>>RIO GRANDI (det) >>> BRADLY (sem_det)

Ok. Lets get to work.

Comments (4)

• hillbillymick
    10 years ago

I only plant heirlooms, but I do start seedlings, and am thinking about starting some hybrids for sale. The heirlooms just do not have the name recognition. Folks will buy my heirlooms to eat, but not to grow.

Thinking about big beef and maybe early girl. Any suggestions?

I am also going to try two cherry tomatoes, which I have never dealt with, Yellow plum and Chadwick's.

great idea for a thread. For most of us, all we have are dreams and plans til next year!

• geosankie
    10 years ago

I do 3 raised beds 4' x 18'. Just the wife and I.
    Tomatoes went well with Big Beef , Black Krim and Thessaloniki productive and tasty. CP and Jetsetter were huge failures this year. Sunsugar ( 2) were so productive the neighbors were putting up No Trespassing signs with my name on it.LOL. Two 5 foot trellisis of Alibi cukes produced 48 qts of pickles before the wife told me to "please, no more". Onions did great 60# of Alisa Craige and Copra. Even though we have snow on the ground now , we still are pulling Tendersweet carrots for Thanksgiving and Sunday's dinner ( mulched with chopped leaves). Many,many quarts of pole beans, Fortex and Emerite. Japanese Beetles love the Fortex but left the Emerite virtually alone. Will try Emerite only next year just to see. Garlic, hardneck, 250 plants this year, 80 in the ground for next year (Music and German Xtra Hardy).
    Ordered all my seeds last week, flowers and veggies, and received half already. Of course I save seeds from all my OP veggies and petunias.
    For next spring: no cherry toms ( we cannot eat fast enough). Big Beef, Thessaloniki, Black Krim toms. Going to attempt winter sowing some Early Girls just for fun. Peppers will be Gypsy and Carmen. Onion = AC and Copra
    No winter squash or Brassicas, they take up too much room, and the SVBs are persistent here. Alibi and Diva cukes again. Dill reseeds itself ( boy, does it ever).

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    10 years ago

My new task (dream maybe?) is a volunteer tomato that came up where I had tossed some kind of tomato in to the edge of the woods. Probably a "tomato on the vine" from the grocery store.

It grew so well and had lots of fruit, even though it was neglected and had too much shade. It had a really good taste, better than my old standby's. But my old standby's didn't have much flavor this year due to the coolest, wettest summer we have ever had.

I saved the seed from several fruits with hopes that I will get at least one plant that duplicates that one!

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    10 years ago

It just seems so risky to place even modest confidence in saved seeds from an unknown variety. Much of my delema is to retry remaining purchased seed packets which grew untrue or just toss them and reorder from a new source. I'll admit I have saved seeds from a few fruits that produced unexpected results just to see if I could get similar results but I never want to risk that with more than a few plants.
    Each of us has different goals that we are setting for the coming year. I'm somewhat pleasently surprised how my cherry tomato season ended and I'll likely continue to plant ~200 plants, same as the past 2 years. My main shift will be to grow fewer heirloom varieties with simple red or pink color. I'll likely keep black varieties constant and include a few more newer striped heritage varieties- those seem to be the ones that I'm dreaming about.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery