Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cascading tomatoes

Posted by Lorabell 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 8:12

I'm looking to plant some cascading type small tomatoes this year for a verticle garden I'm attempting. Don't know which varieties would work the best for this.

Sooo. what are the best ones to go with?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cascading tomatoes

Is this a containerized vertical wall or just in-ground plants growing up a trellis? How much soil will the plant have access to? The size of the container will determine the varieties that can be used.

Dave

o

Containerized plants in 5 gallon containers with 5-1-1 cascading down a 6 ft wall. I;m looking for varieties that like to cascade downward and produce good tasting, no smaller than grape type tomatoes.
Thanks!

o

So with only a 5 gallon container most of the indeterminate types are generally out. A few of them like Early Cascade 'might' work but only with a great deal of extra trimming, watering, and feeding.

Determinate and bush varieties would be the best and of those the cascading types include Tumbling Tom (comes in both a red and a yellow), Cherry Cascade, Sprite, Glacier, Grushovka, to name a few. There are several other determinate and bush varieties but they aren't necessarily cascading/weeping types. You might consider Silver Fir Tree or Martino's Roma or Bellestar as the weight of the fruit will give it a cascading effect.

Dave

o

If you were to go to a larger container, the limitation goes away. I've done large indeterminates in containers as small as 8 gallons, but watering frequency becomes an issue.

Beyond that, Tommy Toe Red and Tommy Toe Yellow will sprawl downward and produce ping pong ball sized fruits in large numbers. Matt's Wild Cherry will also meet your growth requirements, but the fruits are marble sized. Another would be Sara's Galapagos which gives decent sized fruit. Both Matt's and Sara's have a super taste and really load up. Hawaiian Cherry will give lots of orange fruits. Chello will load up with yellow fruits about the same size as Tommy Toe.

If you want to go with larger fruits, then some of the greenhouse types will put on a lot of fruit, but you'll have to up the container size.

If you want some determinates that really load up, I would recommend Peardrop and Mini Rose.

Ted

o

Thanks for the help and advice.
Before I go buy all those varieties...
I updated my exchange listing..if anyone is willing.

Thanks again.

o

Lorabell, I sent you an Email.

Ted

o

Ted,

Thank you so much for your generosity! I greatly appreciate it! Laura

o

Could someone clarify what feature makes a tomato a cascading type?

I was under the impression all tomato are vines, incapable of growing upright without some form of support. If that's the case, if you grow any tomato in a suspended container or over a ledge, wouldn't they all cascade over the edge?

Daren

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here