Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kumato (From saved seed)

Posted by larryw z6Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 27, 11 at 9:15

Last winter my daughter bought a plastic package of Kumato tomatoes and shared some with me.

We sat at the kitchen table and each wolfed down at least 4,
and they were darn good for a winter grown tomato. So I saved seeds and agreed to do some plants in the spring for both of us.

Well, I grew 5 plants; two for each of us and one for my neighbor.

They were absolutely awful tasting!!! Not just bland, too tart, or too sweet, but full and powerfully flavored yuck!

Even the neighbor cautiously broached the subject "regarding the unusual brown little tomatoes" then burst into relieved laughter when I apologized for giving her a plant and explained the background.

So, that is one seed saving experience that went awry. Thankfully I've had very few of those and most of the hybrids I have saved seed from at least made edible offspring--few, however, ever matched the quality of the parent.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kumato (From saved seed)

That's one of the problems with hybridizing tomatoes. The trick is to grow as many seedlings as is possible in the F2 and then select the best one to carry on. In this case, for taste (which means you would have to grow out a lot yourself).

In my case, I generally give the rejects away to whomever I can and so people getting these end up with plants that are very variable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here