Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

favorite 4-6oz. tomato varieties?

teresa_nc7
12 years ago

So, I recently had a spot in my backyard tilled up to once again try growing some tomato plants in 2012. Most of my yard is shaded by the neighbors trees. I want to grow some smaller tomatoes, around 4-6 oz. each - hybrid or heirloom. Please recommend your favorites for taste and ease of growing?

Thanks!

Teresa

Comments (10)

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

You cant go wrong with Rutgers

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, dickiefickle!

I've found I'd rather not have to store part of a tomato in the fridge, but use it all up in one meal for one person.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Agree. Rutgers. But then I can easily finish off a couple of giant Beefmasters in one meal. :)

Dave

• vgary
    12 years ago

Hazelffield Farm Red
    Hazelfield Farm in Wheatley, Kentucky has introduced this fine tomato. Raphe, Teresa, and daughter Esmee operate a diversified family farm, selling cut flowers and heirloom vegetables at farmer's markets in Lexington, Frankfort, and Cincinnati. The Hazelfield Farm tomato was a volunteer found growing outside their garden. Their other tomatoes suffered from the stress of the hot and dry summer, but these tomatoes performed well. They now grow it as one of their main crops, and it is their all-round favorite. 4-6 oz beautiful bright red, with real tomato flavor that makes it ideal for salsa or anything else. It has kept up production through the summer in my garden too, and only took 72 days to maturity. This tomato is a workhorse!
    From a volunteer plant from Gary Millwood's friends Teresa and Raphe, who grow for the Farmer's Market in Lexington, Frankfort and Cincinnati and sometimes Louisville. Teresa and Raphe stabilized this variety for 10 years and shared the seed with Gary. Named after Raphe and Teresa's farm in Wheatley, Kentucky.

Available at http://blueribbontomatoes.com/

• garliclady
    12 years ago

Eva Purple Ball Is a great pink tomato that is small and grows well in the NC heat. I grow the 4-8 oz tomatoes for farmers market. Since everyone else is growing the biggest they can I grow small one and they sell well. Arkansas Traverers (red/Pink) are also great.

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

The first tomato that came to my mind was Speckled Roman, it's a very pretty and very yum paste, you can use it for cooking but it's mighty fine for fresh eating. I checked some seed sites and they all say 4" - 5" - 6", but I think 3.5" to 4" is more the norm, and figure about an ounce an inch for the weight. This paste is red with thin golden-yellow streaks on the skin, overall, it's a really nice tomato.

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! I've ordered Rutgers from Pinetree Seeds and will be on the lookout for some of the others mentioned.

Teresa

• natal
    12 years ago

You can't beat a cherry tomato! Perfect for salads and in lots of pasta dishes ... even on pizza.

My hands down favorite is Sun Gold!

• catman529
    12 years ago

Black Krim, although they sometimes get bigger than 6 oz.

• texaschiles
    12 years ago

I personally like the black prince tomatoes. might run a little smaller then what your asking for (2-3oz-ish). Very pretty and unique tasting tomatoes. Not very pretty in salsa though, my mother remarked that it looked like baby vomit after i blended a few.