Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ramapo F1 - Saving Seed

Posted by sconticut 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 11:41

Has the Ramapo F1 and the Moreton Hybrid F1 been stabilized so that seed may be saved for future plantings?
Thanks for any responses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ramapo F1 - Saving Seed

I don't know about Moreton Hybrid but I dehybridized Ramapo F1 many years ago and last I knew many folks were using the F6 or F7 generation and perhaps more and all was well.

Below I linked to the page of Ramapo, the OP, at Tania's great tomato data base site.

I see no seed source for it but I know it's been passed around at several message sites.

If interested you might want to see if anyone has it by going to the seed exchange here at GW, for at least one place.

I have no fresh seeds I can send you and as you can see the dates on the page below you'll know why. I did it when it was announced that Ramapo F1 was going out of production, and of course Rutgers reintroduced the F1 several years ago.

The person Ed Ryan referred to in the page was at one time a large commercial tomato grower in NJ and he felt that my OP selection was just as good as the original F1.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: OP Ramapo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here