Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

OSU/P20 Blues, are they F1?

Edymnion
12 years ago

Last season I ordered one of the OSU blues and enjoyed it. Good conversation starter, small and sweet, very nice tomatoes all around.

Seeing as how I'm in zone 7, I saved seeds and cuttings that I am currently overwintering. The cuttings are doing well, so I know I'll have good blues for next year.

My question is about the seeds, and on if the OSU/P20 is stable or not. Anyone know if its a stable line at this point, or are they still unpredictable hybrids?

Comments (3)

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

OSU and the P20 vewrsion if it are stable and a lot of folks are working especially with P20 to create new Varieties.

But Dr, Myers, in whose lab this project has been ongoing has now released to the public the stable variety called Indigo Rose.

The link below shows that there's about four places selling seed for it, I just scanned and that includes Johnny's High Mowing Seeds, Territorial and Nichols seeds.

The problem with P20 is that many find it doesn't taste that good, some like it, about the same don't like the taste at all.

And many have been growing it just as a novelty variety.

So you might want to consider Indigo Rose and the link below has a lot of other links related to the whole project.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Indigo Rose

• mulio
    12 years ago

P20 and OSU related lines were not completely stable lines when originally obtained. They were not "hybrids" at that time. There has been enough time since being released that some would be stable provided someone applied selection pressure and proper isolation from outcrossing.

The jest is that what one person may call P20/OSU could be different than what another person does. Depending on how long they have had their seed, what consistent selection pressure they applied and how carefully they have maintained it would determine how stable it would be and how it performs.

I agree with the Dr and say go with Indigo Rose.

It's easy to breed in the purple traits. So there are already more purple types around (though likely not completely stabilized). Most may look interesting but end up being mostly junk. The purple traits come from wild species and one has to work against their negative carry over genetics when trying to improve the flavor. Flavor improvements too will happen if made a priority and crosses are made to better tasting lines. Improving flavor is more problematic than trying to just get the purple genes to show up.

• fusion_power
    12 years ago

Double up what mule said. The original P20 seed I got from Jim Myers 5 years ago were not at all stable. I saved seed from the deepest darkest fruited plant I had the first season I grew them and grew seedlings the next year that ranged from little anthocyanin to the same dark color of the parent. It is more stable for color now after a few generations of growing a single line, but the flavor is still poor. Keith's crosses with better flavored tomatoes are starting to show results. Hopefully within another year or two we will have some good tasting tomatoes that are jet black.

DarJones

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living