Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Hybrid Slicers

digit
9 years ago

I grow several new varieties each year - heirlooms and hybrids.

Big Beef has been in my garden almost since it was introduced in the early 90's. Goliath Original has been out there several times. I appreciate that it is slightly earlier and slightly larger but Big Beef is more productive. Neither is inclined to split and that can be a problem my garden. Irrigation is by field sprinklers and this is a semi-arid climate.

I don't really like determinates but this area has cool springs and cool nights so a 75 day-to-maturity variety may only have ripe fruit for a week, or so.

Big Beef is supposed to be a 10 to 12 ounce tomato. It is seldom that big from my plants. I don't feel the need to grow a variety that produces fruit over that size but it would be nice if they are consistently larger than 8 ounces. I can grow Early Girl just fine but that isn't one with fruit of that size. I feel that I've got the open-pollinated choices in several colors but what about a hybrid red?

So, an indeterminate over 8 ounces but not extra-large, rated at 73 days or less, resistant to splitting, tastes good!

Please, what are Your ideas for my Garden??

Steve

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

There are several discussions here about growing tomatoes in the Pacific Northwest you might want to read. I linked one of them below for the links and suggestions it contains.

Red, hybrid, 75 days or less, 8-10 oz. gives you lots of choices. But do keep in mind that the growing conditions you provide and the methods you use to compensate for weather limitations have a bigger impact on the end result than does the variety chosen.

Look into Ball's Beefsteak, Better Boy, Genuwine, Jet Star, and the BHN varieties. Maybe even Supersonic although it is 79 days.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: PNW tomatoes

• jwr6404
    9 years ago

Steve
    PM me your address (hyunjun98@yahoo , com) I have several seed packages I can send that wii meet your requirements. There is no charge for seeds or postage, If you choose not to plant them please try to share. One of my favorites ,which I will include is Sunset Red Horizon aka Rostova. It is a heavy producer of 1.5-2.5 lb Red tomatoes. I grow it every year.
    Jim

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Sounds familiar to me .:-)
    I am here in Sammamish, north of Seattle. It is even cooler than downtown Seattle maybe by 5 degrees in average. PLUS my garden gets less than 5 hours of direct sun. We have a long frost free season ( almost 8 months) but a good portion of it is just too cold and rainy. So in reality our season for things like tomatoes is 5 months at the most.

This past season, my largest tomato was 19 oz Ananas Noire. Cherokee purple were around 8 oz avge. I had few others in that range.

I have come to the conclusion that the only way to extend summer growing season here ( for tomato, pepper) is from the front end. In the fall, when it starts getting cold and rainy, you cannot keep your plants warm say by covering because they will be too big.
    Front end extension is possible because it is temporary, plants are small and can be protected.

I cover my raised beds by black plastics months before plant out. This way the soil stays dry and the temperatures builds up and by the plant out date (mid to late April) it is warm enough for the root system. Then I just make cuts in the plastic for each plant. The black plastic cover stays on till August.

I use couple of mini portable hoops ( 2 1/2 ft x 5ft by 45" h). I also make small cages from rabbit fence material and wrap them with bubble wrap. work like WOW in principle for less money.

So I find it challenging to grow warmth loving plants in this climate.

Seysonn

• digit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you!

It was fun reading through the conversation in Junuary. Yes, I was around on the forum prior but (pretending to be) very busy in the garden by that time. There were 2 bad windstorms which resulted in what must have been just about my worst tomato season ever. There was a good deal of damage to the plants.

I will have to pay more attention to what WSU extension has had to say, lately. Years ago, I was frustrated that much was directed, it seemed solely, to gardening around Puyallup. Only some things are similar (Junuary) to that area. My gardens are between the Selkirks and the Rockies and what seems like only a stone's throw from country with too little water to grow trees.

It will take me awhile to look through what is here and on the linked threads! Thank You again.

Steve

• seysonn
    9 years ago

On the subject of "Hybrid Slicer", I will be growing one called:

>>>> Brandy Boy It is well reviewed by members here for a couple of years. The fruit size is described as 14 to 16 oz, pink color. Those who have grown it say that it is fairly productive and early (DTM ~76). Plus the good old taste of Brandywine ( same taste but more yield).

Seysonn

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

I'm growing Tomande VFFNT for the 3rd year in a row - they're that good - got mine from Tomato Growers Supply Co. - doesn't seem to be in their print catalog, but you can find it on their website, using the search box...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomande info

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?