Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsnrabs

Seeds Ordered Today

Deeby
10 years ago

Today I ordered Red Robin tomatoes and Pot Black eggplant seeds from Tomato Growers Supply.
The RR's sound like exactly what I'm looking for, non-sweet cherries on a very little plant, and the eggplants small enough for an 18 inch pot. Hopefully they'll be good sliced on pizza and raw in salads.
Crossing my fingers !

Comments (9)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Good luck with them.

Most eggplants can be managed in 18" pot. Some maybe in smaller pots, I think. I usually grow Japanese Ichiban. They get about 2 1/2 ft tall. This year I am going to plant also Indian eggplants, The fruits are the size of an egg( eggplant !)

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

I think you will be happy with the Red Robin tomatoes. I'm growing them too this winter, in pots on my windowsill. They have rugose leaves - very crinkly and dark green - and sturdy little stems which bear a lot of fruit.

Linda

• Deeby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Seysonn. Linda, that's good news ! I think I'll start them in April for setting out (in pots) in mid June.
    I haven't ordered or started seeds in ages so this is great fun for me !

• seysonn
    10 years ago

you can start germinating and growing your seeds inside 6 to 8 weeks before your last frost date and plant out after the danger of frost is gone and the night temps stay over 45F. I can imaging in zone 9b it should be sometime in March.

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    10 years ago

Even though many use the 6-8 week preplant period we are talking here about a compact dwarf plant that you might consider stretching out the period and potting-up so you can be harvesting fruits weeks earlier. You can set pots in for the night or otherwise protect them much easier than a taller growing plant. I have (for plant sales of this variety) planted 14 weeks early and ended with plants in 2 gallon pots that could easily be moved will no harmful effects to the plants. With this variety one could just keep the plants in that size pot and place them up on a stand to check for ripening fruit since the dense foliage causes most early fruits to not be readily visible from above the plants. I plant hundreds of tomato varieties, transplanting most to garden soil, but for Red Robin and a few other dwarf vartieties I just have never seen the need to take that final step, mainly b/c they look their best in a pot. Keep in mind that an 18" tall plant has a tendency to be shaded by any taller growing plant near to it.

• Deeby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hadn't thought of that ! They can be indoor southern California mini toms now ! What a hoot ! They're going to have to make do with sunlight though, I'm not doing the supplemental lighting thing.
    If they don't do well I'll just do more in the spring.

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Deeby,

I grew Red Robin on my windowsills in NC for a couple of winters and they did very well. I did pop them outside on warm sunny days.

Good luck!
    Linda

• Deeby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They came today. The days are so short I'm going to wait to plant them.

• Deeby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They're up ! I planted four seeds in a Jiffy domed seed starter.
    Fun !

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor