Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Tried these Tomato Varieties?

Posted by Kevinitis none (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 26, 12 at 15:03

I am considering adding a few new tomato varities to my garden this upcoming summer and as a gardening nut, I have been thinking alot about the seeds I will be starting in March. Taste is king for me in choosing tomatoes, though I know this subjective. To be specific, I like strong and complex tomatoey flavored tomatoes, with a nice sweetness balance. Also important is productivity, and disease resistance. Cracking resistiance is important too because because of I have excessively well drained sandy soil. If you have grown these, What can you me about the following tomatoes in regards to taste, productivity, cracking and disease resistance?:

Cindy's west Virginia,
Carmello,
Fred Limbaugh Potato top (or just potato top),
and Granny Cantrell's

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Tried these Tomato Varieties?

Granny Cantrell is the only one of those I have tried and given your list of requirements I'd say skip it.

While it is a very good tasting tomato with as good disease resistance and most heirlooms (which is nominal) the production is only average at best and it is very cracking prone. But of course cracking, flavor, production, etc. are all very dependent on growing conditions provided so your experience may vary.

Dave

PS: you can find details on all of them at Tatiana's Tomato Base website.

o

Thanks Dave, I appriciate your imput here and on other threads. "Very cracking prone" is a deal breaker for me. I grew lucky cross one year and they cracked so bad that they rotted on the vine before they were ripe. I never even ate one. Its my soil, it just does not hold water at all and then once watered the tomotoes pull that water up so fast that the toms just pop.

o

Yes, I can vouch for Fred Limbaugh's Potato Top! If you truly have the real seeds, it is the most amazing tomato - and my very favorite for taste! I first got my seeds,probably about 2006, through Doug Oster-garden columnist,Pittsburg Post Gazette (if you don't know the story, check him out! A good history is at Dave's Garden - but GardenWeb doesn't let me post the UrL) who was giving them away (not sure if he still is) in order to keep them going! They did really well for an heirloom, some really large tomatoes, too! I did send some seeds back to Doug, and then one summer I forgot to save seeds. I have since bought seeds and seedlings from various venders-but have not believed they were the real thing...some of the seeds did not even produce a plant with potato leaves! Good luck!

o

Tatiana's has two more names for it: "Limbaugh's Legacy Potato Top" and "Pink Potato Top," and lists some vendors here -- hopefully someone who might have the right seeds:
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Limbaugh%E2%80%99s_Legacy_Potato_Top#tab=Seed_Availability

o

Thanks! Any info is helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here