Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Florida Weave = more Sun Scald?

Posted by Timomac none (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 15:27

Hi All,

First off, thank you to all for the experience you share here.

I'd like to use the Florida Weave next summer. I like the extra-tall support that the 'Weave' affords (I know there are other options but I'm really interested in trying the weave).

My worry is that the weave seems to me to expose more fruit to the elements, especially sun damage. Has anyone had this or like experiences?

Thank you,

Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Florida Weave = more Sun Scald?

I'm sure that much of it would depend on how you do the weaving of the support cords. I have done basic FW for a couple of years to compare with my standard 6' CRW cages and didn't find the fruit to be any more exposed with the FW. If for no other reason than that you can plant much closer together with the FW.

And of course this assumes no extensive pruning. It is pruning that leads to sun scald, not the method of plant support. So if you are heavy into pruning then I doubt the FW will reduce or increase the amount of sun scald.

Dave

o

I am a huge fan of the FW and did seem to have more sunscald this year, but I think it would have occurred with any trellis system. 2012 was a bad tomato year for me.

Normally, my FW creates a tomato hedge, with good foliage cover.

o

• Posted by Cdon 7a (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 11:18

I grew in 2 locations this year, one florida weave, one regular. I had a bit of sunscald on the regular ones, but none on the FW. Perhaps not surprisingly, the biggest difference was sun exposure - the FW plants had 6-7 hours a day, the regular 10+.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here