Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green_go

Recommendations for orange hearts

Can you recommend me a few orange heart tomatoes with decent taste and production in shorter growing season?
What is your opinion on Orange Strawberry?

Comments (8)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Your 5a zone is about the same as mine and I don't call it a short season zone since I could grow and mature even late season varities here, if the first frost was late that season. ( smile)

Hearts, my faves, and I'll list just a few.

Orange Strawberry is one I introduced by first listing it in the 1995 SSE Yearbook and you can see the history and reports at Tania's website. Excellent taste and production.

Orange Minsk Heart, I love it. First introduced this one as well, seeds from Jim/ Most get hearts but some don't/ Taste is like Orange Minsk and I love this one as well.

Herman's Yellow, ripens orange, try it

Podarok Fei, Gift of the Fairy, a small orange heart.

Orange Oxheart I can't suggest just as I can't suggest the generic red and pink ones.

That's enough for now.

Carolyn, knowing she's leaving out some good ones from Russia, but while she's distributed seeds for them, she hasn't personally grown them or tasted them

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    10 years ago

Carolyn wouldn't mention Orange Russian 117 b/c it is catagorized with bicolors but it has to be one of the most attractive and productive oxhearts I've grown. Oddly I forgot about the flavor mainly due to the fact that I sell almost every fruit produced; often they sell early.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

I could have listed it, but didn't b'c it's a bicolor and also not everyone gets heart shaped fruits, as the pictures from thel ink below also shows.

Yes, I've grown it, and it's a variety bred by Jeff Dawson in Ca between Russian #117, a very good double blunt red heart and Georgia Streak, a typical beefsteak bicolor, and I've grown both of those as well.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Russian #117

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

Orange Russian #117 sounded very tempting to me - but it's late. Bah humbug!

Linda

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Linda, you say you are zone 5, so am I,and I had no problem at all in maturing it both years that I grew it..

Carolyn

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Carolyn,

I wouldn't have a problem getting it to mature - eventually, but I feel that my garden space is better utilized on varieties that produce early or mid-season fruit so that I get to enjoy eating them for longer.

Linda

• fusion_power
    10 years ago

The other problem with Orange Russian 117 is flavor. I've never had one that was worth eating. It is beautiful. It is productive. It is also bland and not very sweet. Without flavor balance, it is hard to recommend.

• flowersnhens
    10 years ago

I am also growing this one next year...Orange Strawberry...I am glad to hear it is a good one !! I have it on my "wanted" list on the seed trading forum. If I do not find them through trade, I will purchase them. If anyone has these and wants to trade, I have my trade list up on my member page. =) I have several Heirlooms to trade as well.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County