Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garf_gw

Supermarket Tomato Plants III

garf_gw
9 years ago

Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted inside the tomato.

Comments (19)

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic 2 of third batch

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Looking good.
    If you really like the Supermarket tomatoes, then why not. But if they were hybrid then chances are that you might not get the exact same tomato.

Seysonn.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The last batch tasted good, so I couldn't care less if they are identical or not. Most of mine die an early death, so I'm concerned with disease resistance.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

If you are concerned with disease resistance then how is growing these of any help in that area?

Your plants look fine just as one would expect from any tomato seed regardless of the source. So I guess I am not seeing the point to your post? Any tomato seed produces a plant but it is the fruit, not the plant, that is important with tomatoes. And most store-bought tomatoes simply cannot produce decent fruit. Many have tried and discovered that truth.

Dave

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One of the first batch of supermarket tomatoes has barely survived a Miami summer. That is virtually unheard of here. That is why I'm am trying it again.

• suncitylinda
    9 years ago

I think, sometimes we just like the joy of growing something from seed and tomatoes, in my experience, are willing participants. I grew lots and lots of tomatoes before I EVER ate any of them.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another pic of the twins.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The twins are getting stronger. They are ready to plant soon.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll have more pics in another couple of days. I need to prep 2 containers for them.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Uhhh why are there 3 different threads running on this same topic at the same time? Some of them even have all the same photos. That borders on spamming the forum.

Why not just stick with this one rather than keeping all three duplicate threads running at the same time? .

Dave

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you would look closely, they are pics of 3 different batches of supermarket tomato started at 3 different times. Check the pots carefully. I would advise you to be very careful when throwing accusations of spamming around when it is perfectly clear you cannot see what is right in front of you.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the latest pic of batch 3. I need to get them in the ground very soon.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Just calling it what it is - a bunch of photos of some tomato plants of an unknown variety, unknown origin, and with no distinguishing characteristics whatsoever. We could all post a bunch of pics of tomato plants at various stages of growth but what would be the point?

Despite previous comments and questions you never clarify just what it is there is to see or learn from any of these pics. Why on the forum? Ehat do they teach others? What is it you are trying to learn or to show? What is the point of keeping three different threads running at the same time with these photos when there is no distinguishable difference between them and no explanation provided?

Just want to document them? Great. Lots of photo storage sites available online for you to use. Just want to prove that supermarket tomato seeds can be germinated? Fine. We all know that. Just want to show that tomato plants can be grown in cut off pop bottles? Fine but what about all the other growing conditions?

Bottom line - what is the point?

Dave

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I want to know if you are either a moderator or administrator and we will go from there.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is pretty much what I figured.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Both the Batch 3 plants have babies. Some of the others are just beginning to change color. It won't be long now.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The batch 3 plants are the darkest, healthiest looking plants, but have low output. It will be interesting to see how they survive the heat.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Most of batch 3 has gone down hill with the heat. One had a new sucker that looked good, so I trimmed off the dead stuff. The remains look good.