Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ediej1209

In search of seeds

ediej1209 AL Zn 7
11 years ago

I am searching for Estler's Mortgage Lifter seeds. All I can find are either a generic "Mortgage Lifter" or that copycat Byle's. I've already checked at Tatiana's, Territorial, Southern Exposure, Appalachian Seeds, Seed Savers, Sandhill, Baker's Creek and all the common catalogs. So far, I've only found 2 catalogs that even list Estler's. One is in Canada and doesn't ship to the US and the other is in South Africa. Anybody out there have a source they'd care to share? I have tried many times to save seeds but I have had no luck. (Not to mention I usually grow several tomato varieties so I could never be sure I had a pure strain.)
Thanks,
Edie

Comments (15)

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Edie, most of the places you checked are not the places where one might find what you're looking for except for Glenn at Sandhill who only lists one and not Estler. And I assume you're talking about the public SSE catalog/website, b'c the annual Yearbook usually lists sources for it. The 2011 Yearbook listed several sources and I just checked the 2012 Yearbook and only two persons are listing it but that won't help you b/c one must request seeds from listers out of the current Yearbook and the 2012 will be void in one week, and most importantly you have to be an SSE member to request seeds, for the price they list, from other listed members.

I did link to Tania's website below just to show that none of the places listed for 2011 listedit in 2012.

My seeds were directly from Chuck Wyatt who passed away in June of 2002. I offered seeds for it at another message site up until about two years ago. And while I may still have some seeds for it they would be too old, unless someone had a lot of experience waking up old seeds, to offer to anyone.

The problem right now is that I don't have the time to go on a search and destroy mission, LOL, to try and find those seeds.

If no one answers here then I suggest you go to the SEED Exchange, the link is at the top right on this page and post as WANTED b/c actually seed requests belong in the seed exchange and not herein general discussion. ( smile)

If all else fails and I'm through distributing the seeds for my seed offer which won't be until late Feb.early march, then send me a message from here as long as you have a legit e-mail return address on what you send me.

More than once someone has sent me a PM from here with no return e-mail address.

Carolyn, who wonders why your name is so familiar to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: ML Estler

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When I went to Tatiana's TomatoBase and saw that she didn't have them listed this year I actually cried. I remember her telling me a couple of years ago that she had gotten her original seeds from Chuck Wyatt, a family friend, so I know she had the correct strain. I feel like I've let the whole family down. I swear if I can get my hands on some seeds that ML is the ONLY variety I will grow here this year and will save as many seeds as possible!!
    Thanks,
    Edie

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

I can't see how Chuck could be a family friend since he died in June of 2002 and I don't think she had her site up by then and Chuck lived in MD, and we were indeed good friends and I met him once, but his health declined rapidly and for the two years before his death his memory was terrible and so were his seeds that he sold;he got them all mixed up.Tania lives in BC, Canada.

Tania is an SSE member now, but I don't think she was before or shortly after Chuck died, although I suppose I could confirm that for you with her. But family friend, I don 't think so.

Chuck sent me the Estler seeds shortly after he did his first seed production, I grew them out and did my own seed production to offer them in seed offers I was doing at the time.

In what way will you be letting you family down?

Wait, I think I remember.

I do remember your name and weren't you related to the Estlers and didn 't you post that somewhere that the eldest one had died, maybe here, and I cut and pasted it to elsewhere, can't name other message sites here, and told you I was going to do it, and did,.

If that's you, then I understand now.

My offer to search for those seeds still stands if you can't get them here at GW or elsewhere and if you want to e-mail me aboutit my e-mail address, for Edie only folks, is cmale@aol.com

Is my memory working any better now? ( smile)

But I still can't go looking for them right now b'c I'm still collecting data and seeds for my upcoming seed offer and since I have to use a walker now I have to have someone else help me get to the older seeds.

Thanks in advane fo understanding.

Carolyn

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

I can't see how Chuck could be a family friend since he died in June of 2002 and I don't think she had her site up by then and Chuck lived in MD, and we were indeed good friends and I met him once, but his health declined rapidly and for the two years before his death his memory was terrible and so were his seeds that he sold;he got them all mixed up.Tania lives in BC, Canada.

Tania is an SSE member now, but I don't think she was before or shortly after Chuck died, although I suppose I could confirm that for you with her. But family friend, I don 't think so.

Chuck sent me the Estler seeds shortly after he did his first seed production, I grew them out and did my own seed production to offer them in seed offers I was doing at the time.

In what way will you be letting you family down?

Wait, I think I remember.

I do remember your name and weren't you related to the Estlers and didn 't you post that somewhere that the eldest one had died, maybe here, and I cut and pasted it to elsewhere, can't name other message sites here, and told you I was going to do it, and did,.

If that's you, then I understand now.

My offer to search for those seeds still stands if you can't get them here at GW or elsewhere and if you want to e-mail me aboutit my e-mail address, for Edie only folks, is cmale@aol.com

Is my memory working any better now? ( smile)

But I still can't go looking for them right now b'c I'm still collecting data and seeds for my upcoming seed offer and since I have to use a walker now I have to have someone else help me get to the older seeds.

Thanks in advane fo understanding.

Carolyn

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Sorry for the duplicates, the second one is the correct one.

Carolyn

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I'm one of William Estler's grandchildren. Because my Uncle Bob and I are/were the only serious gardners, several of my cousins told me a couple of years ago that the burden of carrying on the family tradition should be mine when the time came. I told them all that I wasn't really set up to do anything on a grand scale (cancer treatments have left me partially disabled) and that it was OK, there were several sources for seeds. At that time, there were. I never dreamed that all of a sudden NOBODY would have them. And yes, Mr. Wyatt and my Uncle Bob were friends many years ago. That's how Mr. Wyatt got his original seeds.

So I do thank you for your offer and I will let you know in February as you requested if I haven't found a source. I really appreciate your offer, especially since I know you have your own set of physical issues to deal with.

Heading over to the seed exchange forum now...

Edie

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

Edie, I have about 500 seed and can send you 30 or 40.

DarJones

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, how wonderful. Thank you so much! I will contact you directly; I have your website bookmarked.

Thanks again,
    Edie

• kevinitis
    11 years ago

Wow, just makes you realize the importance of saving seeds!

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

Edie, no need to contact. I have your address in Galion. I will mail them out tomorrow. You should have them in 2 or 3 days.

DarJones

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dar, I can't begin to thank you enough!! That is so very kind of you.

And yes, this has truly been a wake-up call.

Hope everyone in the path of this blizzard stays safe!

Edie

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

So there you go Edie, ask and ye shall find. ( smile)

And now I don't have to worry about trying to find my Estler ones which I got directly from Chuck but my saved seeds from his original saved seeds that he got the originals from your Uncle Bob.

Carolyn, who has never thrown out any seeds she saved so has tomato seeds going back to 1991 when she initially did seed offers at the AOL tomato Forum and then for many years elsewhere, and still doing them but again, elsewhere.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yup!

:^)

Edie, who is much relieved

• bigpinks
    11 years ago

Pretty sure Joyce's Greenhouse near Barboursville will still sell the plants. I saved seed last summer but I had Bear Claw as well and am not sure what I saved but it was approx 20 oz round pink that could have been either one. I am going to take pains this yr to label the top of my 6ft stakes and be sure to put up some EML seed. Sure am glad someone had the seeds available. Mr Estler gave seed to Joyces and they sent plants to numerous greenhouses in the Huntington WVa area. Hope I didnt wait toolong to put the seed up.

• texasjaxon
    11 years ago

Edie,

You were most certainly correct when you said those seeds could not be found anywhere! I have been searching for them for a while as well!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH