Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocklandguy

Sun, Heat, & Humidity in Myrtle Beach, SC

rocklandguyZ8,SC
9 years ago

Moved here two years ago from NY and the varieties I grew there don't last past July 4th here in the South. So, I did some searching and found that perhaps I need to grow "Heat Tolerant" varieties. I am not familiar with most of these, and would like recommendations on which (Red) varieties last with the sun, heat, and humidity. I would like tomatoes that are early, mid-season, and those that produce later than July 4th. This is what I found:

Indeterminate:
Super Sioux
Big Beef
Better Boy
Marion
Manalucie
Super Sweet 100 (Cherry)

Determinate:
Celebrity
Solar Fire
Heatmaster
Amelia VR
Bella Rosa Hyb
Bradley
Homestead FA

Please give me your opinion on which would be my best bet, and which varieties I should stay away from. Also, if you know of any other red variety that would fit my needs.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Paul

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

and the varieties I grew there don't last past July 4th here in the South.

Is it the different planting times required at the new location, that you are growing determinate varieties, or diseases that kill the plants that are causing your problems? Or is it just the normal blossom drop due to heat and humidity that many of us have to deal with?

No variety, even the so-called heat tolerant varieties, will set much fruit during periods of high heat and humidity so most southern climate growers just focus on keeping the plants healthy until they can kick back into production when the weather improves

Add to that the fact that most of the "heat tolerant" varieties aren't noted for much flavor.

On your list I have grown Bradley (actually a semi-determinate), Solar Fire, Celebrity, Big Boy, Better Boy, Super Sioux, Bella Rosa, and Homestead. The only ones of that group that I can recommend for good production and flavor are Super Sioux, Big Boy and Bella Rosa. JMO

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom Drop FAQs

• rocklandguyZ8,SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Dave for your response! I have adjusted to the earlier planting times here in the South, vs the North. Seems like the time I gained on the front end, I lose at the back end! I don't think the earlier start is the problem. Up North I planted Indeterminates because I wanted tomatoes that last until frost. The Determinates all come at once, and that is not what I am looking for. I'm not into the canning thing! We like fresh tomatoes for our sandwiches and meals. What is happening here is that I get plenty of blossoms, then the green fruit, they are almost ripe, and then become like water balloon sacks hanging there. Don't know what causes that, other than the heat. What I am afraid of is that if I start growing determinates, they will all ripen in June, then be finished. I was considering starting plants a few weeks apart for several periods, but that seems like a lot of effort. So I guess I will just have to try some Indeterminates and some Determinate, and see what happens this year. I just hate to have to buy seeds for varieties that people have tried, and they weren't any good. I'm happy to know you recommend some that I have on my list. Did you not try the others, or were they NG?

Paul

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

What is happening here is that I get plenty of blossoms, then the green fruit, they are almost ripe, and then become like water balloon sacks hanging there.

That indicates that either a) there is some fungal disease process such as Pythium, Phytophtora, Rhizoctonia, Alternaria, etc. or b) they are left too long on the vine and subjected to over-watering or heavy rainfall. Either way variety may not be the issue.

Do you use fungicides? Have you tried picking at color break and finish ripening indoors? Those may be the solution.

Dave

• rocklandguyZ8,SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, I do not use fungicides. I hate to spray anything on stuff I will eat!

I will have to keep your suggested solutions in mind this coming season. Thanks!

Paul

• User
    9 years ago

Paul,
    We plant another whole round of tomatoes in August here, in Aiken.
    We get tomatoes til the end of November, beginning of Dec, sometimes later depending on the weather.
    I also think you are not feeding your tomatoes plants, miracle grow and epson salts work wonders in this sandy soil.
    If you have them in pots, it works on them too.
    I don't plant Determinates, only the long producing plants the Indeterminates, and usually get tomatoes all summer, and go buy some new plants in August, and have them til winter.
    Good Luck.

• rocklandguyZ8,SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks butterfly4u!

May I ask, which "red" indeterminate varieties do you plant in Aiken?

Paul