Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Name This Mater !

seysonn
9 years ago

From time to time I buy a Heirloom tomato from store and try to save seeds from it , to grow .

Here is the latest. It is a 3-lobed Costoluto like. So when I cut it, it had 3 big empty pockets with plenty of seeds and some juice in them. It is clear that it was very old tomato as it was almost dehydrating.

The skin was light red with tiny blotches of orange. This one weight about 3.5 oz but they (store) had much bigger ones too.
The taste was not that good. I suspect that it was just too old.

OK. Can anybody name or guess what this is ?

Seysonn

Comments (6)

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To help you out, here is a cutaway view.
    The quality of the picture (taken by phone ) is not good. The actual color was more red.

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

Seysonn, You know the drill without good photos especially...

Could it be over matured but have evidence of faint stripes?
    Maybe ... Schimmeig Striped Hollow (a Wagloom)

PC

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks PC. You nailed it: Schimmeig Hollow Striped Red.
    Here is a description I found on it

80 days. Lycopersicon esculentum. Plant produces good yields of 8 oz hollow stuffing type orange-red tomatoes with bright yellow stripes. Theses bicolored tomatoes are hollow like a green pepper. Excellent for stuffing, slicing, and eating fresh. Indeterminate.

As mentioned it is like some kind of bell pepper

Here is a good picture from the internet.

This post was edited by seysonn on Mon, Dec 15, 14 at 5:02

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So here we have a stuffing tomato, just like bell pepper shape. Thanks to PC to IDing it.

Breeder: Tom Wagner of Everett , WA. in 1970s, sent out seeds in 1979. So technically this is an OP, not quite a Heirloom. (35 -40 yrs ?)
    NAME: Tom named it "Schemmig Stoo" which translates to "Striped Hollow"

Growth Habit : Indet, Narrow leaves. Said to be resistance to some diseases.

Gardening just a few miles from where this tomato originated (Everett, NW WA), I will grow it; JUST FOR STUFFING, as the taste is said to be bland. That is what I thought too.

I have plenty of seeds now drying after fermenting process. I am willing to share few seeds if you are interested.

Seysonn

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Yuck!

It's exciting that you stumbled on a named variety and all that, but why would anyone bother to grow a tomato that tastes bland when there are zillions of great-tasting OP varieties out there?

Linda

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

why would anyone bother to grow a tomato that tastes bland
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I will grow it as "stuffer".
    It is like "sauce" tomato. The taste of tomato is not that important. When you make sauce, you (can) add all kinds of things to it, a dash of salt, a pinch of sugar, a touch of vinegar, red bell pepper, garlic, basil ... So who is going to know how the tomato tasted ? It is the same with stuffer. The taste and flavor of the stuffing should be so dominant that the taste of tomato won't be noticed.

Seysonn

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!