Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Boy vs Better Boy

Posted by Ecopal none (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 19, 11 at 20:43

What is the difference between the Big Boy and Better Boy tomato? My Better Boy got blight and died so I cant compare it to my Big Boy. One thing I did notice was that the Big Boy grew faster than the Better Boy. Is it as simple as the Big Boy is good but the Better Boy is better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Boy vs Better Boy

Big Boy was bred by Dr. Oved Schifriss when he was at Burpee many years ago. One parent is Teddy Jones, a pink heirloom from the midwest and I promised Dr. Schifriss I wouldn't name the other parent.

John Peto was at Burpee at the same time. He left and went to CA and took seeds for Teddy Jones with him and formed Petoseed. Better Boy was bred by Petoseed with Teddy Jones as one parent and I don't know the other parent.

I don't see that much difference between the two.

Carolyn

o

I have seen a difference in production between the 2. I have grown both of there for 3 springs now, and Better Boy has consistently outran Big Boy. This is just one observation from Southeast Texas.

Take care,
Travis

o

actual diff is better boy is supposed to be more disease resistant

o

The degree to which a variety has disease tolerances ( not resistances for the most part) and is thus useful to a grower depends on whether or not the disease tolerances bred in are ones that are found where a particular grower lives and gardens.

Tomato diseases are regionalized, which means that different diseases are more common in certain parts of the country.

You can look at the chart from Cornell that I linked to below and if any of the Better Boy diseases are known to be a problem in your area then growing BB, which has those tolerances,can often lead to several weeks more growth and fruit maturation than if the variety had no tolerances at all.

Most bred in disease tolerances, which are for mainly systemic soilborne diseases are of greatest use to the large scale farmer who harvests fruit when the Brix level ( soluble sugars) are what they should be and sometimes the extra week or two allows the fruits to get to those Brix levels.

THE most common diseases of tomatoes are the foliage diseases, not the systemic ones, and with very few exceptions there are no varieties with good tolerances to those common diseases and the most common are:

Early Blight ( A. solani)
Septoria Leaf Spot
Bacterial Spot
Bacterial Speck.

Summary? Tomato disease tolerances bred into a variety are only of use if those diseases are found in the area where you live and garden. Knowing WHICH specific diseases are found in your area and being able to identify them is very important.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Disease Tolerances

o

Carolyn said: "Knowing WHICH specific diseases are found in your area and being able to identify them is very important."
A fact that also applies to gardening in general but it's just plain-out ignored by many folks. Having a good garden is not just luck and hard work, it's knowledge and skill too.

o

There is something to be said for fruit appearance and when it comes to Better Boy I give it a thumbs-down. Fruits usually have yellow shoulders which look sickly when compared to many other varieties. I would even prefer the European green-shouldered varieties to this one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here