Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
antipodean_gw

Yellow Leaves / Soil pH

antipodean
10 years ago

Hi all, first time poster...I've been browsing this site for a while and have been really enjoying the fantastic information available especially for us gardening newbs!

Anyway, i am growing a variety including C. Genovese, Amish P, J. Flamme, CP and Grosse Lisse. They have been growing well and have set fruit however just in the last couple of weeks I've noticed a yellowing of the lower leaves, but its starting to work its way up the plants....the new growth looks healthy. Yesterday i purchased a pH test kit and took a number of samples and it appears my soil is rather alkaline (7.5 - 8.0).

So could the yellowing be a result of the high pH? I've read that sulpur can reduce pH however is this immediate or will it take time......are my plants doomed :(?

Thanking you all in advance!

Comments (9)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Not possible to diagnose a potential problem from a portion of one leaf. Could be short of nitrogen.

Please post an image of the plant.

This post was edited by jean001a on Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 0:27

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Lower leaves often turn yellow, because of shade. And eventually may die. I would clip them off.
    But if your whole plant looks like that leave then there are several possibilities.
    Yellowing, pale green often indicates shortage of nitrogen. Overwatering can also do that (by leaching the nutrients) . Shade is another cause for yellowing.

• miesenbacher
    10 years ago

Your picture looks like Nitrogen Deficiency. Normally as the plants grows it channels most of the nitrogen to the top of the plant to support growth and less is available for the bottom leaves thus the leaves are deficient in nitrogen and turn yellow. See if you can get some Calcium Nitrate from a hydroponics shop and apply to the plant as a soil drench (1-2 tablespoons per gallon of water) and also as a foliar to the leaves which will make it available to the plant more quickly.

• antipodean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, thanks for the replies so far, i have attached a picture of one of the plants....orange cherry.

I think its unlikely to be nitrogen, i've added plenty of composted manure plus some rabbit poo, and i also provide a liquid fertiliser (weak) every couple of weeks.

My initial thoughts were that as the soil is alkaline then perhaps some of the micro nutrients (magnesium, iron etc) may be locked u and not available to the plant.

Any ideas?

• antipodean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another picture.....

• dickiefickle
    10 years ago

try empsom salt

• miesenbacher
    10 years ago

Now that I see the full picture I agree it is not a Nitrogen deficiency. The pH figures you have will not lock up Magnesium. Iron, Manganese, Boron and Copper/Zinc are the only elements affected by alkaline conditions in your range. I think a soil test is in order to nail the problem down.

If you have Molasses down under mix some with water and apply as a soil drench and you can apply as a foliar.

• antipodean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dickiefickle:

i've seen images of magnesium deficient leaves and they do have some similarities to mine, i will look into this.

miesenbacher:

a soil test is logical but I've been quoted $220 ($US200) by a local soil lab, which is not within my budget. Yes we have molasses, seen it at home brew stores.

thanks for your replies!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

If you are using a fertilizer formulated for Tomatoes and peppers, It already has magnesium in it. READ THE LABEL>
    If not, put one Tspn of epsom salt in 2 gallons of water and water your plants with it. Or simply get some tomato fertilizer.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!