Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this tomato a scam?

Posted by LaurieK123 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 23, 11 at 23:10

I did some research online and I came across some information on unique tomatoes that have been brought back from the Galapogos Islands for the purpose of cross-breeding. I would love to try these special tomatoes, but the problem is that I can't find anywhere to buy them.

Does anyone know if they are actually real? And if so, are they open to the public and open for legal sale? If they are real, I am starting to wonder if they have been patented or something.

Thank you so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this tomato a scam?

Provide a link to what you are speaking of
whats special?
do they have a name ?
Are they real ?

xmas cheer

o
RE: Is this tomato a scam?

There many many accessions that have been brought back from the Galapagos islands and made available, most of them small fruited varieties, some named, some not, some currant tomatoes, some not.

But if you're talking about the tomato called Kumato, also known here in the US as Rosso Bruno, and bred by Syngenta in Europe with so much hype that I think it's ridiculous, then no, it's not a scam. THey first introdced it in England and Australia maybe 6-7 years ago, I didn't check, and then in the US as Rosso Bruno, but it's also now available here as Kumato.Identical tomato, two different names.

Regardless of the name it's an F1 hybrid and folks have been growing it out to get an open pollinated (OP) version since they like the taste, which I don't.

Somewhere in the hype you might have read about Galapagos Tortoises, etc.

Hope that helps, from someone who does like what's known as Sara's Galapagos, for instance, which is a wee sized stable cross between a currant and ?????. The Galapagos ISlands are also the home of the species S. Cheesmanii, the salt tolerant one that has been used by hybridizers to breed tomatoes with increased tolerance to briny waters.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here