Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can the tomato blossoms make it?

Posted by Ecopal none (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 15, 11 at 23:10

Hey Everybody
Well it looks like my tomato blossoms are finally starting to become actual tomatoes. I do not know if it is the drop in temperature here in south Florida or if it is the tomato set spray I used. Unfortunately today a big avocado fell fight on top of my Brandywines and snapped one of the branches. I cut it off and put it in some soil. But the blossoms are still on it and they are almost done pollinating. If I leave the blossoms on the cutting will it become a tomato even though its only a foot tall? I know it takes longer for the plant to establish itself but I would hate to remove blossoms after I have tried so hard to keep them from falling off.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can the tomato blossoms make it?

Yes, they can survive and produce.

This happened to me as well last summer. Freak wind storm came out of nowhere and ripped a couple limbs off my blue tomato plant that had blossoms and even some small tomatoes on it. My first time growing a blue, and I really wanted to keep as many as I could get, so I potted the torn limbs up and hoped for the best.

Those limbs not only survived, but the fruit that was on them survived, and they continued to produce for the rest of the season.

Wasn't covered in as big of fruits as the ones on the main plant, but they were producing. Didn't even use any kind of rooting hormone, just stuck the torn end in some potting soil and crossed my fingers.

It'll look like they're wilting and dying for a while, but just keep watering them normally and they'll bounce back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here