Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bragu

new vars for 2015

bragu_DSM 5
9 years ago

okay, here are my heirloom picks for 2015.
comments or experience with any of these?

chocolate wonder
brown sugar
costoluto
shuntuk guant
chocolate stripes
black cherry
black brandywine
pink vernissage
indigo apple
earliana
legend

thanks

dave

to which I have added:
the obligatory black krim (we just like it)
goliath
mr stripey
arkansas traveler
cherokee purple
abe lincoln
delicious
Japanese black trifle
tigerella
moskvitch red
cosmonov volkov
purple perfect
stupice

This post was edited by bragu on Thu, Jan 1, 15 at 10:55

Comments (14)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I have only grown ONE of those in your list; LEGENG.
    It is developed by OSU for cool NW climate. It is also Parthenocarpic , meaning that it can produce fruits without polinations. Also it is disease resistant.
    In my garden it did fine and fruited well into early October. So I will grow it in 2015.

Seysonn

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Legend - didn't care for its tough skin and lack of taste.

Earliana - ok for an early, good production but minimal flavor as with many earlies.

Black Cherry - good smoky flavor but low production.

Chocolate Stripes - good but prefer Black Krim and Indian Stripe.

Black Brandywine - excellent taste, low production b ut will likely do better in your zone.

Costoluto Genovese - just a personal "I don't care for its appearance or taste".

Dave

edited to add link to a previous discussion here about C. Genovese. There are also previous discussions about most of the others the search will pull up for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous discussion about issues with Costoluto

This post was edited by digdirt on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 12:40

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

I grew black vernissage from the series, found it to have very tough skin and so so taste but it might have been my seeds/conditions.

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

Tatiana lists Shuntukski Velikan as excellent traditional flavor. Seems like original seeds Carolyn got from Andrey B. Based on geographical location where seeds are from- Shuntuk, it is about zone 7 with lots of rainfall.
    Would love to give them a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shuntuk Giant

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

Neither on your list, but for many years my two favorite tomatoes are Jaune Flammee and Aunt Ruby's German Green.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

Neither on your list, but for many years my two favorite tomatoes are Jaune Flammee and Aunt Ruby's German Green.

• suncitylinda
    9 years ago

I have grown Moskvich several times and find it to be a great tasting early that laughs at cool/wet weather.

• yardenman
    9 years ago

Is 'Garden Treasure' available anywhere yet?

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Brand new for 2015, just released by the Dwarf Project:

Dwarf Purple Heart

• lovestogarden
    9 years ago

I prefer the black cherry over the chocolate cherry for taste, appearance and productivity, but you've got to wait for it to be fully dark and at its tastiest.

I tried Legend (determinate) several years ago for 2 years in a row and it was fine, but nothing special, with a slightly tougher skin.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I grew Legend last season.
    The taste might not be spectacular but is is fine. Plus it is fairly early, Parthenocarpic , and has resistance to early and late blight. The Other thing that I like about it is that it is determinant and compact. So I will grow it again.

Seysonn

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

Another OSU developed toms that I am going to repeat is Siletz. It was the earliest in 2014. And with good size fruits, about 6 oz. and as a DET it kept pumping. It did earn its place for 2015.

Seysonn

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

early is good, tasty is a plus. something to wrap the bacon around.

and the list has changed again. Jaune Flammee is def. on the list. About all my seed has arrived, about all the peppers are being germinated. i have 2 wks to solidify the list. then i have to search for containers.

dave

• suncitylinda
    9 years ago

I love Jaune Flamme. LOVE LOVE LOVE. I grew it this fall thru mild Winter and processed all the seed out of one of the largest tomatoes. Dense planted them and now am separating them to give away to the unenlightened! I need to plant Siletz too I have heard it does great in high heat.