Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purpling of underside of leaves

Posted by aznar5 z8 AL (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 06 at 8:51

I noticed a few of my 3 week old seedlings were curling down last night. Other sypmtoms were purpling of the underside of the leaves with the veins staying green. Also the plants in general were leaning and sagging a lot compared to the day before.

From what I have looked at on the web it could possibly be phosphorous deficiency. The day before the symptoms showed up I had sprayed with a 1/4 strength 10-10-10 solution. The lowest the temperatures have gotten in there are 60.4 degrees.

Anyone have an idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purpling of underside of leaves

I had deep purple interveinal undersides on my seedling back in early February and some leaf curling. I decided it was phosphorous deficiency as well and repotted them all with extra bone meal, gave them a foliar feeding, and provided extra bottom warmth. (Apparently, cool *SOIL* temperatures can interfere with phosphorous uptake, even if there is sufficient phosphorous present in the soil.)

The sagging would worry me a bit--make sure the soil isn't soggy.

Anyhow, my seedling started looking better within 24 hours, became monsters within a month, and are now doing well planted under wall-o-waters in my garden!

Follow the phosphorous idea--maybe all some bonemeal, and try to give them a little extra bottom warmth, and keep us posted!

o

Thanks for your help. I have been using cold tap water. That may contribute to the problem.

o
Cold water? NOOOOooooooo...

I actually prefer watering mine with at least tepid water; usually a little warmer than room temp (I like the water about 80 degrees F) because many of the plants like the soil around that temperature.

o

PLease ignore the purple undersides to the leaves.

All will be well when they get outside.

It's impossible to ID specific mineral deficiencies with accuracy.

if the purple bothers you then spray with dilute fish or seaweed prep, both of which are rich in minerals. This bypasses root uptake if the seedlings are being grown too cool, which often is the reason why nutrients can't get taken up correctly.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here