Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdgtxs

Fire ants

cdgtxs
17 years ago

I have fire ants in my garden -(nothing new) and have tried the orange oil without much luck in the past. Any products that work that aren't too bad for me or the environment???

THANKS

CDGTXS

Comments (8)

• srburk
    17 years ago

I don't have fire ants, but I did have a great deal of regular ants and some black ants like pharoah ants in my garden. Someone told me that corn meal (like the kind you buy to use for cornbread) would make them move. I seriously thought it was an old wives' tale, but I won't put chemicals down because my kids play back there and eat off the bush sometimes. So I figured that it couldn't hurt anything and tried it. I cannot say why, but they did move. I'm not claiming it killed them--I think they simply find it inhospitable and move elsewhere. I just put cornmeal on top of garden and ant beds near the common areas of the yard, and in a week those mounds disappeared.

It may not work for fire ants, but it's cheap and worth a shot, right?

• cdgtxs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How much did you apply???

• srburk
    17 years ago

I just guessed and applied a rough handful or half a handful, depending on how large the hill was.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Grits will not and cannot kill an ant colony but may make them move to another location. With pesky fire ants in the garden, I'd suggest that you do something a bit more aggressive to get rid of the fire ants.

Look in your garden centers for an ant bait with the active ingredient SPINOSAD. It's a biological control for ants (and other insects) that is provided as a true bait. Baits are, by far, the best way to get rid of fire ants. I know that Safer makes one, but I'll bet that other companies are putting it out on their own brand name, too.

Spinosad is safe to use and is registered as an organic product.

• cdgtxs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks , did a web search on SPINOSAD and it appears to be the real deal. Will keep y'all informed on results. Thanks again.
    CDG

• melonhedd
    17 years ago

Please be careful with spinosad - even though it is organic, it should not be used near fruit or vegetables. I haven't tried the cornmeal yet. What works for me most of the time is good old coffee grounds. I stir up the mounds, then smother them with 6 inches of grounds. Usually it takes two treatments to get them to move on. Disturbing the mounds seems to speed up the process. I like to disturb them with boiling water..... good gardening and good luck!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Most of the Spinosad labels that I have seen state that this product CAN be used in home gardens, on or near fruit and vegetable crops. Be sure to read the manufacturer's label on the product you purchase.

• bryanccfshr
    17 years ago

Spinosad Products now have approval around food crops and I use OMRI approved Sprays and baits. Good stuff. I spray my leaves with the liquid and spread bait throught the yard and planting beds.
    It keeps the fire ants under control and the liquid is great agains leaf chewing insects leaf miners, worms , catapillars etc. The best news is that is selective.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spinosad article