Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honu_gw

Seeking organic control for tomato bugs

honu
18 years ago

I've had lots of blossoms, but very few fruit, and confirmed (via the entomologist at Master Gardening class) the problem is tomato bugs (Cyrtopeltis modestus) causing most of my blossoms to fall off. I have been spraying regularly w/ insecticidal soap with no improvement. I'm seeking organic remedies only, and ultrafine oil was recommended, but the ones in the store are petroleum based, and I wondered if I could make my own spray from cooking oil? Does anyone have a homemade recipe that you have used successfully? The bugs are inside the blossoms. If I spray inside the blossoms, will I ruin chances of pollination? Thanks for any organic tried and true remedies!

Comments (8)

• suze9
    18 years ago

Honu, how did your tomato bug problem turn out? I know you'd also discussed it with others elsewhere.

• honu
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Suze, Thanks for asking. I tried some oil spray in addition to insecticidal soap, but neither seemed to make a difference, but now have bigger problems, as we are on our 2nd month of being pounded by constant storms and flooding, and I've lost many of the tomatoes I started recently to storm damage and disease. But that's nothing compared to others in our state who have lost lives and had major property damage and ruined crops recently as a result of our current freakish weather.
    (Hawaii's report is at the very bottom of the link below.)

Here is a link that might be useful: our weather

• feldon30
    18 years ago

honu's link is now here.

• honu
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, feldon!

• katelliott
    18 years ago

honu...have you gotten any responses? here's a homemade remedy: 3 tablespoons liquid dish soap to one gallon of water, spray really well on top AND underside of tomato leaves, once a week...i've tried the dish soap & water on my tomatoes and no negative response yet. hope this helps..

• honu
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hi katelliott, thanks for your recipe! i have tried both soap sprays and oil/soap sprays, but have not seen an improvement. But our current severe wet weather could be interfering with my results.

• turtle808
    17 years ago

Hi -I'm from honolulu, & I have just started to grow tomatoes in containers... and they seem to be doing fine I harvested about a dozen..big boys,not the best but definitely better than the store ones.... but am now trying some brandywine... I know this might sound crazy but... I used some unused tulle that comes in circles that you use for party favors...and took two and sewed them into simple pockets... and twist tied them onto the group of tomatoes... seems to work.. no fruit fly problems so far... seems like a lot of work,but its not... but I only have a few plants..I don't do it for the cherry toms only the larger varieties... so far my brandywine is big as my fist.. but still green... I am trying to use as least pesticides too...

• bigobely
    16 years ago

I use sevin dust but it isn't organic and although my family has done so for generations prior with no known ill effects to themselves I know that the chemicals are dangerous to other life outside our own as well. What could I use that will keep "cutworms" from eating all of my garden?