Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diseased rootstock, what is it?

Posted by mroyboy z10 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 22:14

For the upcoming season I am wanting to graft all my tomatoes onto disease resistant rootstock. I chose RST-04-105-T from Harris Seeds and started 4 test seedlings. They are very slow growers, but around 3 weeks after germination they start showing signs of disease, beginning with white bumps on the stem, and then they start to hunch over, and the leaves curl upwards until they are rolled up. So far two of the four have had the same problems and I'm hesitant to start any more until I figure this out. None of my regular tomato seedlings have exhibited any type of behavior like this.

The soil for all my seedlings is moistened and then microwaved for 4 minutes, reaching temperatures up to 200 degrees to sterilize it in very small batches. The soil goes into a coconut coir shell molded for starting seedlings.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on? It's strange to have this happen to a plant that is supposed to have resistance to TMV, Corky Root, FW (1,2), V, Root-knot Nematode, Bacterial wilt and intermediate resistance to Southern Blight. I have another rootstock on order to try out in case this is something insurmountable.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diseased rootstock, what is it?

Did you ever get this figured out?

If so, let us know, please

o
RE: Diseased rootstock, what is it?

The store I purchased it from said it was probably some form of mildew - bizarre to say the least since everything around them were never affected in the slightest as those seedlings were consumed. They recommended an anti fungal spray. I sprayed them with neem oil dilution and the ones that hadn't died did recover. I have mainly moved to Estamino rootstock to avoid this entirely. When I do try this seed again I spray the seed with neem oil and that seems to take care of the issue. I believe the seeds are harboring the spores.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here