Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stunted Tomatoes

Posted by janie_appleseed none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 10:30

I've been really curious about this and I hope someone can help me:

I decided to transplant my two tomato plants into my garden when they started getting big. One of them had a green tomato about two 1/2 inches in diameter and a baby tomato about a centimetre in diameter. The other plant didn't have any. I did that about a month ago and they look EXACTLY the same. It doesn't look like there is anything wrong with the plant itself except for some occasional browning leaves. I'm worried something may have happened when I transplanted them. I read that herbicides will sometimes stunt the growth of tomatoes and i do use an insecticidal soap, but my tomatoes were stunted before I started using it. I hope someone knows what is going on!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stunted Tomatoes

It would help us greatly if you'd tell us where you live.
Also how are you taking care of the plants? -- water? fertilizer? in pots or the ground?

For starters, if the prevailing temps (day or night or both) are below 55F, it's too cold for tomatoes.

o

I live in Central Florida so the temperatures aren't too terribly crazy. Every now and then the temperature will drop to 40 or 50, but that doesn't happen very often and doesn't last very long when it does happen. It shouldn't happen any more as we are entering spring and summer.
I normally let my sprinkler water them which goes off every other day, unless it is so hot outside that the soil dries up and I have to water them.
I don't believe in synthetic fertilizer and I don't use any compost or manure so thats a no on fertilizer.
Yes, they are in the ground.

o

1. GOOD TRANSPLANTS ARE NOT BIG....LOOK FOR TRANSPLANTS AROUND 6 INCHES OR SO
2. TOMATOES NEED NUTRIENTS TO PERFORM WELL...GOOD SOIL PREVENTS ALL KIND OF PROBLEMS AND DISEASES WHEN TRYING TO GROW TOMATOES (OR OTHER VEGETABLES)...SOIL NEEDS TO BE LOOSE, CAN RUN YOUR HAND DOWN INTO IT...IT TAKES TIME TO BUILD GOOD SOIL...
I DON'T KNOW HOW TO BUILD GOOD SOIL WITHOUT ADDING COMPOST FIRST AND FOR TOMATOES MYCORRHIZA SECOND...JUST TRYING TO HELP...ROY

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here