Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato containers and Vikane fumigation --good or bad idea?

Posted by tuesdayschild La Jolla (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 17, 06 at 22:32

Hi all,
I have drywood termites (lots). And the biggest infestation of silverfish I've ever seen indoors. We are making arrangements to have the house fumigated and I have an odd question for you:
I have 6 large redwood planters for tomatoes (no dirt here, just decking) that have been just great for growing. I pulled the last of my winter crop last week with a nasty influx of tomato psyllids doing them in (can't complain too much since its March...) and I wanted to have some time off between the winter crop and the spring planting to let the nasties go away. (I've got favas in there now). I'm about to have the house tented and fumigated with Vikane gas (sulfuryl flouride and chloropicrin). Heat treatment is not recco'd in our circumstance and the "citrus oil" method has no decent stats on it, so I'm forced into the old fashioned method after much research. Given this, I am considering rolling my large containers under the tent to let the Vikane take out anything it can as long as they're doing this... to perhaps clear out any residual psyllid presence, etc. (not to mention the ant colony that moved into one of the 20 gal containers).

The termite companies I've interviewed swear that Vikane floats away and dissipates completely, leaving no residue -- as in, I can eat off the plates, etc. once they've left, however no FOOD can be left open lest it be contaminated... Hmmm. Leaves me wondering... Is the soil/redwood container/terracotta pot that I'm _growing_ my food in in two months likely to be contaminated by this stuff? Will the soil/redwood pass something nasty into my tomato plants that will have my family turning into mutants? Or is this a wonderful way to let my termite control also prep my container garden for next summer's crops?

Comments? Research? Suggestions? Weigh in! I have two weeks to decide to roll those pots in or out of the target zone and I'd love some ideas from others! --TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato containers and Vikane fumigation --good or bad idea?

• Posted by suze9 z8a TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 18, 06 at 23:18

Suggestions? I wouldn't put them under the tent. Why? Because I'm not quite sure about what the long-term effects would be.

Might be okay -- might not.

o
RE: Tomato containers and Vikane fumigation --good or bad idea?

• Posted by farkee 10 B South Fl. (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 15:19

I think I would haul them in only if I thought the wood might be infested with termites. Even though redwood is resistant overtime weathered wood can apparently be infested.

Those chemicals are ones used in soil fumigation but obviously not the same rate, formulations, etc.
Some of these chemicals are being phased out and none of them are available to the homeowner to sterilize their soil.

I don't think psyllids have a cycle where they are in the soil anyway (?) and I would not go to all that trouble for ants. Just use boiling water or soap and water.

You could dump all the soil on a big tarp, add new compost, etc. and put the redwood containers in to be gassed.

I tend to agree with the technician but I am no expert so could not tell you to go ahead and do it. I pour boiling water (VERY CAREFULLY) in containers invested with nematodes --would not be prepared to do what you propose because it seems to be the antithesis of Integrated Pest Management gardening where you go for the least toxic methods first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here