Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white spots but can't find pics that look like this

Posted by katmichaels CA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 23:05

Hi! I'm new here. I have a tomato plant in a self watering container and the tomatoes usually have white spots like the ones in this pic. I looked all over the internet and couldn't find spots that look like this. Any thoughts on what it is? Thanks!!!

Kat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white spots but can't find pics that look like this

I see that on my tomatoes a lot. It has never really become a big problem that threatens my tomato plants. The best thing I can say is try to pick the tomatoes a little bit early and let them ripen next to a window so they aren't exposed to bugs and other pests for too long. wishing you the best of luck!

o

Thanks for the advice. I will try that, but I'm still hoping for a fix. This picture was actually a very mild case. Sometimes the tomato is covered with those spots and I'm not sure if it's even healthy to eat. I'm wondering if maybe it's a bacterial thing from the standing water in the base of the planter. I mean, it's not possible to dump the water out every so often, because the plant is pretty big and the whole thing would just kind of come apart (the built-in stand, that is). In any case, that's my first theory. I'd love more!

o

No problemo! If that is only a mild case in the picture, then you might want to dissect one of the tomatoes with a more severe case. You might be able to find the culprit inside the tomato! If not, then i would definitely look into a pot that doesn't have a dish attached to the bottom of it (that is, if it is possible to move the plant). Just some ideas!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here