Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zucchini_gw

Leaf Mold

zucchini
17 years ago

I find it difficult to tell which image from the plant diseases photos really matches. But I think I have narrowed it down to Leaf Mold. Perhaps there is more than one problem??? Brown dry patches, purple underleaf, on upper leaves..some yellowing of lower leaves, some yellowing/whitish around the edges. Very evident in the potato leaf varieties..perhaps because of the size of the leaf? My qustion is what can I do now? These toms are from 5 to 7 inches tall and under lights. I have removed the self watering mat some were on, as I suspect it makes the room to damp. I have 175 hopeful tomato plants indoors until the first of June... I don't use chemicals in my garden, but am feeling desperate and want tomato plants to survive. Martha/zucchini thank you...

Comments (5)

• cbars
    17 years ago

Martha,

Do you have pics? It might help to see the problems. Parts of you description sounds like normal stuff to me. Plants will have yellowing leaves and such because they are not being grown under ideal or perfect conditions.

Sometimes we fret over our babies for no reason other than we are trapped inside the house and can't get out. LOL

Give us some more info.

Good luck,

Gary

• zucchini
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No digital camera...so no pics...Yes, I do get overprotective with my tomato plants, even calling them mine has that sound! However, last season was the first time I had this type of problem. It started then, when I first planted them out, and by the end of the season there were very few plants with a leaf. (I had taken them off as they became infected).. This year all has been started a fresh...clean soilless mix, washed and disenfected pots and trays all seeds saved using the fermentation method as Carolyn suggests. I did use some seeds from a previous year as last years crop was not abundant. This does not look normal to me, but perhaps I am being too much of a mother hen...;-) martha/zucchini

• carolyn137
    17 years ago

Martha, with such small seedlings Leaf Mold is not a reasonable diagnosis. That would really only be seen when plants are outside and in our area isn't usually seen until late in the season when nights turn cool.

Seldom do inside seedlings show any of the more common foliage infections that are seen after plants are put out. Except for CRUD,and what you describe for the leaves is not CRUD.

Does this look like an infectious problem to you as in it spreading to unaffected plants?

Is this affecting ALL of your seedlings? Potato LEaf varieties would be the last ones I would expect folks to have problems with.

Carolyn

• zucchini
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Carolyn..I do think it is spreading..It looks more obvious on the potato leaf as the leaf is large. Not affecting ALL..hope it wont go any further. Some yellowing of others, but they may be a bit crowded and some leaves in shade from others. I see it on a few here and there and snip off the leaf. The brown area becomes brittle, some have a pale yellow around the darker area..but not concentric circles. I just thought of something. I have no digital camera but I can scan a few of the infected leaves and post them! Will do that today...thank you,
    Martha/zucchini

• zucchini
    Original Author
    17 years ago

okay...here is an image of two...one potato leaf from Yellow Brandywine one small reg. leaf from a tiny tomato callpearl..martha/zucchini

{{gwi:1291470}}