Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
travelerb

Problem with transplanted tomatoes (What is it?)

travelerb
17 years ago

I'm trying tomatoes for the first time, so I got a couple Brandywine plants and one Roma last Saturday. After preparing a row for them I transplanted them on Sunday. By Monday or Tuesday, I started seeing some problems that seem to have gotten worse on the Brandywines. The Roma right next to them has some minor issues too, but nothing like the others.

A few of the Brandywine leaves started to shrivel on the tips within a day or two of planting, and some holes in the leaves started to form. At first I thought it might be some bugs or other pest, but there is now some light brown discoloration on at least one leaf (like small parts of the leaf are just dead).

I looked at the TAMU Tomato Problem Solver, and the closest thing this looks like is Verticillium Wilt, just not nearly as bad as their picture. I'm not so sure though.

So, can anyone help be identify the problem (even if I'm just being hypersensitive and this is just transplant shock). I took some photos this morning to help, some are a little out of focus, apparently the camera was too close.

This is a couple of the leaves, the larger one has some small light brown spots that are a little difficult to see in the picture.

{{gwi:1291546}} Sme two leaves, maybe a better shot.

One of the Brandywines, you can see the end of a leaf shriveling up in the lwoer part.

Same leaf up closer.

Another leaf, I think from the other plant. A little out of focus but you can seen the end has shriviled up into pretty much a string at the end.

{{gwi:1291558}} The other Brandywine (other than the full shot above).

These are a few of the Roma that is planted next to the Brandywines:

A couple of leaves, one looks totally gone, so I wonder if something didn't eat it.

{{gwi:1291561}} Another few leaves. Those are holes on the leaf on the left, not spots.

For completeness, this is the full Roma plant.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I hope I didn't throw in too many pictures (I actually have more, but I guess you can't give too much information). By the way, had a big thunderstorm come through last night, so that is why everything is so wet. I'm sure they are overwatered now.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure