Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomato flowers wilting

Posted by loucolo 5 colorado (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 30, 06 at 11:22

Hello,
Two weeks ago a friend and I purchased 4 Early Girl tomato plants in 4 inch pots. THey are very bushy and loaded with flowers and already have small tomatoes on them.
Since then, the tomatoes have grown larger but some of the leaves are turning yellow at the edges and have a sort of canker and spots on them and some, not all of the flowers are wilting or drying up.
We live in Colorado and are not able to plant them for a couple of weeks yet, so they are in a sunny window.

I suspect some kind of disease or blight or does anyone have thoughts on this? I don't have any photo at the moment but will try to get one. Without knowing specifically what is wrong, I wonder if they can be saved?
Thanks,
loucolo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomato flowers wilting

You should have pinched off all the blooms to let it focus on root development. I would have maybe "potted up" to a 6" pot.

o

I suspect some kind of disease or blight or does anyone have thoughts on this?

Not without some more information.

if you've had them only two weeks and they already have small fruits, then if you're seeing some blossom drop now it no doubt means that it's due to transplant shock, wich wouldn't be unusual.

As for leafd symptoms, you'll have to describe in detail what the spots look like as to shape, size and color and whether there are nay yuellow halos around them.

Better still, go to Problem Solver #2 thread and look for the link to TAMU and see if you can match up what you see with any of the following, which are the most common casues of foliage diseases:

Early Blight ( A. solani)
Septoria Leaf Spot
Bacterial Speck
Bacterial Spot

Carolyn

o

Hello Carolyn,

Yesterday I posted a couple of photos on the plants in question and they are in "more on tomato plants wilting" and "more on tomato plants wilting 2".
Two persons have suggested that the plants are OK but pot bound, inhibiting root production.The suggestion is to cut off the flowers and fruit to allow root development.
If you can, please look at the photos and see if you have other thoughts.
We will probably either transplant to larger pots for now unless something else is going on.
Thanks,
Ellie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here