Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
little black flying bugs

Posted by teesaz zone 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 08 at 12:20

I live in Phoenix, and noticed these little black winged bug/gnat like things on my plant and on the plant there seems to be little black dots around some of the stems. I am a novice and this is the first thing I ever planted. I heard I can use a diluted mix of soap with water and spray it on the plant, but I have no idea the ratio. I also saw a spider like clear bug on the bottom leaf and took the hose and gently gave the plant a gentle spray all over. Does anyone know what I can use to get rid of these bugs? I am just starting to get little tomatoes coming in. Should I get a pot of marigolds to put near the plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: little black flying bugs

They could be either fungus gnats or black aphids - neither will do much if any harm to the plants and can usually be controlled with just water spray just as you did.

The mix for soapy water spray is 1T of liquid soap to 1 gallon of water and shake well. But it can be harmful to the plant if not used correctly: only lightly mist the bugs and not the whole plant, do NOT drench the leaves, and do NOT spray in the direct sun or the heat of the day.

Hope this helps.

Dave

o
RE: little black flying bugs

I got those little fling gnats or flies to all over my new tomatoe plants too. I thought they might be a type of flying aphid. Not to sure but have seen something similar on my roses and sprayed very dilute all purpose insect spray and got rid of them.
gene

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here