Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jusdavi

Big Beef Disease Problem? Thick Stems, Dark Leaves?

jusdavi
15 years ago

I am growing about 25 Big Beef Tomatoes from burpee.com indoors until May. I started them from seeds in early February so they are a good size.

Most are under two 48' 40watt florescent lights. The ones that didn't fit are under two 48' 25watt florescent lights. All are in 4' pots. When they were potted up to the 4' pots (1 month ago) I put in Espoma Garden Tone and buried the stems to the first leaves.

The ones under the 40watts are looking lime green, average growth, and seem to be healthy. I have a few under the 25watts that look like completely different strains.

They have stems about three times as thick, extremely dark green leaves on top and a good amount of purple under most leaves. The plants also have tons more 'hair' and sticky on the stems. The leaves aren't yellowing, just much darker and a much larger leaves and more canopy. Are these healthy? Are these healthier than the ones under the 40watts or do they have some disease?

It just seems like two completely different strains. I wonder what is going on???? Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!