Original Author
    18 years ago

oops. wrong link, here it is

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1291826}}

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

No, it doesn't.

Early Blight is Alternaria solani.

Actually I don't see anything that looks bacterial and the few small beige areas are what I see very often on my foliage and are just environmental.

if the situation gets worse do repost in this thread.

New foliage infections are not going to jsut affect one plant and not others.

There's also a thread here on the first page titled Problem Solver #2 and you can find many links there that show the more common type folaige diseases.

Carolyn

• fliptx
    18 years ago

I see some little squiggly trails that look like leafminer damage. My peppers were all affected by the little boogers. They left squiggles (as they mine through the leaves for nourishment) and then the leaves turned splotchy yellow, then brown.

• duajones
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I trimmed of the bad foliage as it was all at the bottom of the plant.Anything I can do to help it?

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

I trimmed of the bad foliage as it was all at the bottom of the plant.Anything I can do to help it?

Nothing right now.

Flip, I also saw what I thought was leaf miner infestation on that one leaf but forgot to mention it.

Dua, we're talking about the white squiggly lines and if you see those, take off those leaves ASAP and dispose of them.

Carolyn

• duajones
    Original Author
    18 years ago

okie dokie,

Duane

• feldon30
    18 years ago

Leaf miners continue to be out-of-control in my garden. I thought I had them licked a few weeks ago when I picked off the last few leaves that were affected and didn't see any new damaged leaves for a day or two. Then the cycle began again. I probably have 100 tomato leaves with leafminers. I've pretty much given up on fighting them by picking off leaves and will wait and see.

I cannot believe there isn't a natural approach to leafminers, maybe a decoy leaf that kills them when they try to inject larvae. :)

• fliptx
    18 years ago

Does Spinosad help with leafminers? The label says it does, but I haven't tried it. By the time I got to my peppers, 95% of the leaves were done for. Now they're starting to show up on my eggplants. They really love those nightshades.

• feldon30
    18 years ago

Ed says yellow sticky traps. I'll give anything a try.

• feldon30
    18 years ago

Despite everyone telling me that leaf miners are "no big deal" and just affect foliage, they are starting to drive me crazy. I had to pinch off two large handfuls of tomato leaves today from 14 plants. Shouldn't that concern me? I'm in Houston and sunscald is a real problem.

More importantly, they're now going after my watermelons and wax beans and I'm afraid those plants don't have nearly as many leaves to spare as tomatoes do.

Gonna go back to the old standby of Neem oil and again try those yellow sticky traps.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Have you folks looked at the Life Cycle of Leaf Miners?

I ask only b'c some of what you mention would only stop new infestations but would do nothing to help cure what is, which is progressive.

Carolyn

• feldon30
    18 years ago

They can have up to 11 life cycles in a year.

They eat their way out of the leaf and then drop to the ground, pupate, and become leafminer flies and start attacking leaves again.

If you miss even ONE when picking leaves, they will come back. If there are leaf miners in the area, then you're completely hosed.

So unless I can catch the flies, I don't see a way out of this. What am I missing?

They cause enough damage to the leaves that they eventually turn brown or stop photosynthesizing. On tomatoes, this isn't as much of a crisis since most of my varieties are producing excess foliage, but on watermelons and beans, they do not have leaves to spare when they are only 40 days old!!

• tmflyfish
    18 years ago

Duane, I'm in northwest Houston and have noticed the exact same thing on nearly all of my plants just in the last week or so - some plants are worse than others. It is definitely spreading up the plant foliage. It looks so much like early blight because of the irregular necrotic spots and the larger yellow areas around them; however, the spots aren't as dark and they are missing the concentric rings. Does anyone know what it might be? Sorry I don't have pictures....maybe tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Early Blight

• duajones
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This same thing basically ate up my silvery fir tree, bush early girl, cherokee purple, and celebrity bush. i harvested a few fruit off of the sft, quite a few off the beg, still hoping on the rest. these plants look so bad i am too embarrased to post a pic of them. Went from my neighbors commenting on how great my plants looked, to sickly plants in what seemed like no time at all. Sad

• tmflyfish
    18 years ago

I told myself I was going to go 100% organic this year....until this crud started showing up. It just seemed to come out of nowhere like you said and started spreading pretty rapidly. I finally broke down and sprayed them with Ortho Garden Disease Control several days ago which put a halt to the spread. With rain on the way, I'm sure I'll be spraying again soon. My tomatoes look so good this year with what should be very good yields - I just couldn't sit by and watch them deteriorate. I'm growing Anna Russian, Better Boy, Brandywine, Brandywine (Sudduth Strain), Cherokee Purple, Gardener's Delight, Marianna's Peace, Opalka, Sioux, and Stump of the World. All are affected with Stump of the World getting it the worst, but the spray has helped tremendously, and everything is growing without any apparent adverse impact.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

It looks so much like early blight because of the irregular necrotic spots and the larger yellow areas around them; however, the spots aren't as dark and they are missing the concentric rings. Does anyone know what it might be? Sorry I don't have pictures....maybe tomorrow.

The lesions shown in the picture are really too dark. Both fungal foliage diseases, Early Blight and Septoria Leaf Spot can have yellow halos and in that case Daconil can be a real help as you've found out.

But dua's pictures didn't show that.

Carolyn

• honu
    18 years ago

Carolyn,
    (Early Blight is Alternaria solani. Actually I don't see anything that looks bacterial and the few small beige areas are what I see very often on my foliage and are just environmental.)
    What did you mean by "just environmental"?
    My Yellow Brandywine potato leaves looked like that too, and I thought it was blight too.

duajones: Thanks for starting this thread!

• myron26155
    14 years ago

Here's a good link about Blight:

Here is a link that might be useful: Blight Symptoms and Treatment