Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
materwitch

Sick Seedlings

sunnyk
15 years ago

I already posted this in the Growing Tomatoes forum, then I realised I probably should have posted it here.

This is killing me, is this a disease, or just leaf damage from maybe me moving them around, or from me being a little late on the watering....argh, out of the 50 seeedlings I have, 10 or 11 have this kind of damage to some extent, a few of the leaves I know look wilty because I got some water on them and then being under the grow lights made the water burn them....but this leaf and a few others really have me feeling like a seedling failure again. I have such a nice collection of seeds,but I almost feel like giving them away because I am becoming a seedling killer

:(...Help

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

I think we already solved this problem over on the Tomato forum, right?

You also asked:

1. Is it normal for sick leaves to look sicker as time goes by.
    2. Is it possible a gnat could do this to a seedling...not a fungus gnat, rather a regular annoying gnat. I ask because I have had a gnat or 2 flying around in that room for the last week that I cant seem to catch and kill.

3. If this is damage a combination of being to close to the shop lights and over/under watering, will more plants look sickly over time.

4. Should I remove the sickly looking leaves, or are all the leaves going to eventually succumb and these plants just going to die.

5. Might the sickly leaves just die, and the rest of the plant recover.

Sorry for being so uptight , but I want to do right by my seedlings...as best as I can.

1. It depends on how much damage was done. But you can easily remove the damaged leaves without harming the plant. That way you don't have to watch them get worse. ;)

2. A gnat? No. A severe infestation of aphids can cause similar appearance in the leaves (not same but similar) but you would most likely note the aphids first.

3. No, it's not over/under watering, it is water on the leaves themselves that are then close to the lights. Thus the recommendation for bottom watering only - so that the leaves never get wet. A drop sitting on the leaf magnifies the heat and light and kills the cell tissue under it - just like a magnifying glass.

4. Yes as I said you can remove the leaves but this not something that is going to kill the plant as was explained over in your other post. it is just local damage to a part of the leaf.

Honestly, it really is no big deal. It happens all the time and will happen even out in the garden when it rains and then the sun comes out.

Keep in mind that statistics show that far more seedlings are killed by TOO much care and concern then ever die from neglect. So relax. Cut yourself, and your plants, some slack. ;)

Dave

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, I did post in both places, so I am glad that you came and helped even tho I am being a bit psycho(I fear giving my seedlings some disease) LOL!! I really do need to relax about these guys....I mean heck I planted extra just in case something like this happened...but then I got attached to the extras LOL!!

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Long as you don't start giving them each individual names! ;)

Dave

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I am pretty sure now it is either over watering or underwatering or something else, as many more of the seedlings are exhibiting the same symptoms, and these are ones that never had anything but bottom watering and never had any droplets on the leaves. :(
    I am crossing my fingers that I can keep these guys alive the 3 or so weeks until I can get them into the garden.