Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brandywine pink has deficiency or disease?

Posted by SakeenahM Southern California (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 14:05

I grew this tomato from seed over a year ago. It came in a mixture of heirloom tomato seeds and I found out it was the pink Brandywine when it set one small tomato last year. I live in an apartment so I'm growing it in a 3.4 gal pot. I noticed that the leaves look green and healthy but they have this curling problem and I don't know why. It doesn't look like the tomato leaf curl because it curls the other way, inward.
Another thing is that from time to time, some of the leaves turn yellow or bluish purple and wilt. I usually snip them off when it gets really Wilty-looking. Not sure if there's a problem with the nutrients that it's getting or not getting or if it's a disease. Maybe it's both.

I recently trimmed quite a bit of the dead leaves so it looks bare. A new batch of tomatoes is on its way right now so I'm confused about its health.

Please let me know if you have questions about this.

-Sakeenah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brandywine pink has deficiency or disease?

Very likely a "tired" plant which has been in that pot far too long and needs to be retired.

Even though indeterminate tomatoes are perennials which will sometimes survive for more than one season in your area, they're never as vigorous as they were in the first season.

I suspect you're emotionally attached to the thing but, even so, I suggest you cut your losses by starting over with a fresh plant.

If you want to try to help this plant to at least some degree:
- It needs much more light.
- Fertilizer -- when did you last apply it? - what product did you use? (Looks like it could use some.)

Jean
who gardened in Long Beach, CA, for 30-some years.

o

Thanks Jean for the insight! I took two cuttings from it and they've been growing pretty well. One of them so far looks to have non-curled normal leaves but the other has the curly leaves. You think it's tired because of the curliness right?

I moved it to the corner because it looked like the sun was burning it and it gets more indirect light than direct light in its new spot. Also, would transplanting it to a larger pot help any?

I probably do have an attachment to it. Must... Let... Go. Lol.

o

I think it's tired because it's an old-timer.
It's long past a vigorous stage of life.
It needs to be replaced.

You may succeed with taking cuttings, or not. The reason is that the best results occur when cuttings are taken from a vigorous plant.

o

Thanks for all your help! I will take it out soon.

:)

-Sakeenah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here