Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdg_tx

Strange leaves( another photo)

cdg-tx
18 years ago

As I explained in another post , I am worried about planting these in my garden if this is some sort of disease. ???

CDG

Image link:

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    17 years ago

I've looked at both pictures and all that comes to mind for such bunched up leaves is perhaps prior infection with aphids, which can cause such bunchy looking leaves. Or some other sucking type insect that you have in TX that I'm not that familiar with.

No doubt the plants were sprayed heavily to rid the plants of any such infestations before they were sent.

or is it possible that you have an aphid problem in your own garden? Even so, if they came that way it doesn't speak to local conditions.

Either that or an unspecified environmental problem.

It wouldn't be due to either bacterial or fungal infection and it doesn't, at this point, look like any viral disease that I'm familiar with.

If conditions change please let us know.

Carolyn

• gw:cdg-tx
    17 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to look at the photos and responding . As to insects , I have looked these two plants over with a magnifying glass and have found nothing (They have not been planted into the garden yet).
    "Either that or an unspecified environmental problem." You know , this could have something to do with this , it was cool here when these leaves were formed and it is the first leaves on each stem .

"It wouldn't be due to either bacterial or fungal infection and it doesn't, at this point, look like any viral disease that I'm familiar with." So , do you think it would be save to transplant these into the garden without introducing a disease of some sort???
    THANKS AGAIN !!!!!
    CDG

• carolyn137
    17 years ago

So , do you think it would be save to transplant these into the garden without introducing a disease of some sort???

CD, I hate to answer that when I'm only one person answering, really, but as I said, it could well be aphid or some other sucking insect damage where they were raised and then fumigated before shipping out.

And I've already said it doesn't look, at this point, like any viral disease I recognize, so you're going to have to make up your own mind on this and not put me in the position of saying go ahead, then getting into trouble and then saying, "but Carolyn, you TOLD me it was OK." LOL

Carolyn, who has not seen bunched leaves due to cool weather, but who knows for sure b/c early in the season all sorts of weird things can happen to foliage and then things straighten out as the plants mature and the weather settles. But I'm not in TX, and you are. (smile)

• gw:cdg-tx
    17 years ago

Thank you

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?