Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatoman_gw

Vine Weevil Follow-Up

tomatoman
17 years ago

This is a follow up to a post I made several months ago. For many years I have been plagued with an insect that attacked my tomatoes and peppers, hollowing out the stems from the roots up sometimes 3'. Since I avoid the use of any insecticides other than neem oil or BT, I had been unable to eliminate these pests. About the time my plants were really looking nice, with the vines loaded, and a few just starting to ripen, the plants would start a decline like they needed water. It was the damned weevils. Some 2 or more years ago, I made a couple of posts that brought lots of suggestions, comments and diagnosis, all with good intentions, none of which were much help. However several months ago, a gentleman from England, emailed me, an suggested I had a tomato vine weevil, and the cure was a beneficial nematode. This proved to be the correct diagnosis and treatment. In early February, I obtained beneficial nematodes from company in Michigan, and applied them as directed. Now, as my winter tomato crop declines, I have dissected each branch, and it appears my vine weevil problem is over. I have found none! I am going to do another treatment in the fall.

I was asked by a someone on my last post, if I had seen the weevils, and yes I have, the larvae are identical to a vine weevil larva, and the adults look like a close relative to the infamous black vine weevil. I hope this helps other gardeners, with a similar problem