Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID a tomato disease

Posted by kitchamitcha 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 15:41

I'd like to nip this in the bud before spring planting - any help IDing the problem will be appreciated! (see pic)
--Yellowing starts first, bottom leaves & works its way up
--Brown spots on leaves, stems
--Leaves eventually totally brown up and dangle dead on the plant
--Some plants have zero usable tomatoes (tomatoes set but are weak/diseased looking) others (super 100) churn out lots despite no leaves
--Must be in the soil, as same problem 2 years running
--Thinking it was early blight put in Mountain Fresh hybrids last year but they did very poorly!
We are in upstate NY. Thanks!

Image link: ID a tomato disease (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID a tomato disease

It's early blight. I assume this is a pic of last year's plant and that you haven't planted yet this year, right?

The only preventative is using a fungicide from the day of planting. Daconil in one of its various product names is the most recommended. Be sure to read and follow the label directions for mixing and avoid applying it in the direct sun or the heat of the day.

The fungus spores survive in the soil and garden debris from the previous year and can also be airborne so once it starts there is no cure - just prevention.

If you will search 'early blight' here you'll find many discussions about it and about the use of fungicides to prevent it.

Good luck.

Dave

o

I live in NE Florida and have two young tomato plants that are just starting to fruit. The leaves have begun to curl upwards and have little yellow dots on them. The stem looks fine and the fruits are developing well. I have looked on the internet and the closest thing I have found as to what they look like is pseudo curly top virus. Based on the description of the leaves do you think it might be pseudo curly top virus or early blight and what can I do to treatment them?

Thanks!!!

o

Early Blight. I have to treat my plants with Daconil every year to prevent them from dying. It will not cure affected plants, but it will stop the disease from spreading. I mulch around all my plants and treat the plants after every rainfall until I start picking. Have not had a problem in the past few years.

o

my leaves appear to be dry and curl up but they are getting plenty of water please help

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here