Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown stems and spots on tomatoes

Posted by missnish 9, Orlando, FL (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 17:28

This is my first time growing tomatoes. I'm not sure what the brown on the stem and leaves is coming from. I water every other day. I fed them when planted. I'm not sure where this came from. Could any help identify this problem and a possible remedy if any?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown stems and spots on tomatoes

wee need clues please

indoors, greenhouse or outdoors?
pot or the ground?
prevailing weather -- temps and rainfall?
what have you done so far?
If you tried any remedies, what, when, and the results?
add anything else that might be helpful to us.

o

They're in a container. Weather is up and down. Late 80s during the day 70 or so at night. I haven't done anything I have no idea where to start. The plants get full sun for pretty much the whole day. I water every other day.

o

Looks like it could be a bit of septoria. I would remove the affected leaves and stems and use a garden fungicide for vegetables to possibly prevent its spread to more of the plant. Fungicides are best used as a preventative, before disease gets started, but you might be able to keep it from spreading to healthy leaves if you start a regular routine.

You live in a far different climate than I, but here septoria generally shows up when it's cool and rainy. It also tends to slow or stop after a while, but sometimes it just keeps going. Once it really gets going it's hard to stop. It's early yet, so you should try to stay ahead of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here