Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disinfecting tomato supports

Posted by whizzer75 z7 Al (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 17:44

Should I disinfect my PVC tomato supports? Is it likely spores or pathogens would survive over the winter on PVC plastic?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disinfecting tomato supports

Excellent question Whizzer!

Personally, I don't take chances. I use a product called Physan 20. It's an environmentally friendlier version of Consan Triple 20 or Triple Action 20. The manufacturer claimed to me (via telephone) that it could be used to control pathogens in the soil as well(the product begins to dissipate after coming into contact with the pathogens. Usually gone in 8 hours). No data available as to what extent that it could do this, but I live in an area where I've got way too many pathogens and diseases not to try it. I grow heirlooms that catch everything and I did disinfect my cages with Physan. So far so good. Hope this helps.

o

Should I disinfect my PVC tomato supports? Is it likely spores or pathogens would survive over the winter on PVC plastic?

If you had foliage diseases the previous year then yes, some spores and bacteria could have overwintered on the supports.

But, they would also have been shed to the ground and so can cause splashback reinfection the next year. Mulching helps.

Also, since all NEW foliage infections are airborne, disinfecting cages or PVC or whatever cannot help prevent that at all. Only rigorous spraying can help prevent the fungal foliage diseases which are the worst, compared to the bacterial ones.

Carolyn

o

Thanks for the advice and information. My ISP has been down since early AM of the 8th which accounts for my tardiness in replying.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here